"Jan. 8, 2013 -- Parkinson's disease itself doesn't seem to raise a person's risk for compulsive addictions to things like gambling, shopping, or sex, a new study shows.
Compulsive behaviors affect about 14% of Parkinson's patients tre"...
Comtan Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Comtan
Generic Name: entacapone (Pronunciation: en TAK a pone)
- What is entacapone (Comtan)?
- What are the possible side effects of entacapone (Comtan)?
- What is the most important information I should know about entacapone (Comtan)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking entacapone (Comtan)?
- How should I take entacapone (Comtan)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Comtan)?
- What happens if I overdose (Comtan)?
- What should I avoid while taking entacapone (Comtan)?
- What other drugs will affect entacapone (Comtan)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is entacapone (Comtan)?
When used with carbidopa and levodopa (Atamet, Parcopa, Sinemet), entacapone increases levels of levodopa in the body.
Entacapone is used together with carbidopa and levodopa to treat "wearing-off" symptoms of Parkinson's disease, such as stiffness, tremors, muscle spasms, and poor muscle control.
Entacapone may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Comtan 200 mg
oblong, brown/orange, imprinted with COMTAN
What are the possible side effects of entacapone (Comtan)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- nausea, sweating, feeling like you might pass out;
- fever, stiff muscles, confusion, and sweating (especially when you first start taking entacapone);
- new or worsening cough, fever, trouble breathing;
- severe or ongoing diarrhea, extreme thirst, increased urination, weight loss, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling, uneven heart rate;
- worsening symptoms such as tremors, twitching or uncontrollable movements of your eyes, lips, tongue, face, arms, or legs; or
- feeling very thirsty or hot, being unable to urinate, heavy sweating, or hot and dry skin
- unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness especially if you also have fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild dizziness;
- back pain;
- feeling tired;
- mild diarrhea; or
- mild nausea or stomach pain.
You may notice that your urine appears orange, red, brown, or black in color. This is not a harmful side effect.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Comtan (entacapone) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects »
What is the most important information I should know about entacapone (Comtan)?
You may have increased sexual urges, unusual urges to gamble, or other intense urges while taking this medication. Talk with your doctor if you believe you have any intense or unusual urges while taking entacapone.
Avoid drinking alcohol, which can increase some of the side effects of entacapone.
Cold or allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, and medicine for seizures, depression or anxiety can add to sleepiness caused by entacapone. Tell your doctor if you regularly use any of these other medicines.
Entacapone may cause hallucinations (the sensation of hearing or seeing something that is not there), most commonly among elderly people. Call your doctor if you experience hallucinations.
Do not stop using entacapone without first talking to your doctor. You may need to use less and less before you stop the medication completely.
Some people taking Parkinson's disease medications have developed skin cancer (melanoma). However, people with Parkinson's disease may have a higher risk of melanoma. Talk to your doctor about this risk and what skin symptoms to watch for. You may need to have regular skin exams.
Additional Comtan Information
Comtan - User Reviews
Comtan User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.