"Through June of this year, the cholesterol-lowering drug rosuvastatin (Crestor, AstraZeneca) was the most prescribed branded drug in the United States, and the arthritis drug adalimumab (Humira, Abbott Laboratories) was the best-sel"...
How to use the retention enema:
Best results are achieved if the bowel is emptied immediately before the enema is given.
- Preparing the Medication for Administration
- Shake the bottle well to make sure that the suspension is homogeneous.
- Remove the protective sheath from the applicator tip. Hold the bottle at the neck so as not to cause any of the medication to be discharged
- Assuming the Correct Body Position
- Best results are obtained by lying on left side with the left leg extended and the right leg flexed forward for balance.
- An alternative to lying on the left side is the "knee-chest" position as shown here.
- Administering the Retention Enema
- Gently insert the lubricated applicator tip into the rectum, pointed slightly toward the navel (umbilicus).
- Grasp the bottle firmly, then tilt slightly so that the nozzle is aimed toward the back, and squeeze slowly to instill the medication. Steady hand pressure will discharge most of the solution. After administering, withdraw and discard the used unit.
- Remain in position for at least 30 minutes to allow thorough distribution of the medication internally. Retain the enema all night, if possible.
Last reviewed on RxList: 3/12/2008
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Cortenema Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.