- Cushing's syndrome facts*
- What is Cushing's syndrome?
- What are the symptoms of Cushing's syndrome?
- What causes Cushing's syndrome?
- How is Cushing's syndrome diagnosed?
- How is Cushing's syndrome treated?
- What research is being done on Cushing's syndrome?
- For more information
- Patient Comments: Cushing's Syndrome - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Cushing's Syndrome - Treatments
- Patient Comments: Cushing's Syndrome - Personal Experience
- Find a local Endocrinologist in your town
Cushing's syndrome facts*
*Cushing's syndrome facts by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOE
- Cushing's syndrome, or "hypercortisolism," is a relatively rare hormonal disorder caused by prolonged exposure of the body's tissues to high levels of the hormone cortisol.
- Symptoms include upper body obesity, rounded face, increased fat around the neck, thinning arms and legs, fatigue, weakness, high blood pressure, and mood disorders. Children tend to be obese with slowed growth rates.
- Pituitary adenomas cause most cases of Cushing's syndrome. They are benign, or non-cancerous, tumors of the pituitary gland which secrete increased amounts of ACTH, (adrenocorticotropin), a hormone that stimulates the adrenal glands.
- Cushing's syndrome can also be caused by taking glucocorticoid hormones such as prednisone for asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and other inflammatory diseases, or for immunosuppression after transplantation. It may also develop because of overproduction of cortisol by the body, or adrenal tumors.
- Cushing's syndrome is diagnosed with tests such as the 24-hour urinary free cortisol level test, the dexamethasone suppression test, the CRH stimulation test, CT scan or MRI, and the dexamethasone-CRH test.
- Treatment depends on the specific reason for cortisol excess and may include surgery, radiation, chemotherapy, or the use of cortisol-inhibiting drugs.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 4/15/2014
Viewers share their comments
Cushing's Syndrome - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms you have experienced with Cushing's syndrome.
Cushing's Syndrome - Treatments Question: What types of treatment have you or a relative received for Cushing's syndrome?
Find out what women really need.