Cycling (Biking or Bicycling) (cont.)
In this Article
- What is the history of biking?
- What are the types of bicycles?
- Glossary of biking terms
- What size bike should I choose?
- How do I choose what bike to buy?
- Can I adjust my bike?
- How do I go about getting started bicycling?
- Where can I ride my bike?
- What do I wear to ride a bicycle?
- What about bike safety?
- How do I take care of my bike?
- What about indoor biking?
- How many calories do I burn when I bike?
- Where can I find more information about biking?
Where can I find more information about biking?
http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/ (may be difficult to locate a dealer near you)
Adams, J. & Hillman, M. The risk compensation theory and bicycle helmets. Inj Prev 2001;7: 89-91
Andersen, L.B., et al. All-cause mortality associated with physical activity during leisure time, work, sports, and cycling to work. Arch Intern Med. 2000 Jun 12;160(11):1621-8.
Bicycle. David Herlihy Yale University Press 2004.
Bicycle Retailer and Industry News. http://www.bikeleague.org/media/facts/#sold August 7, 2007
Matthews, C., et al. Influence of exercise, walking, cycling, and overall nonexercise physical activity on mortality in Chinese women. Am J Epidemiol. 2007 Jun 15;165(12):1343-50.
Mourier, A., et al. Mobilization of visceral adipose tissue related to the improvement in insulin sensitivity in response to physical training in NIDDM. Effects of branched-chain amino acid supplements. Diabetes Care. 1997 Mar;20(3):385-91
Robinson, D.L. No clear evidence from countries that have enforced the wearing of helmets. BMJ 2006;332:722-725 (25 March)
Last Editorial Review: 8/15/2007
Find the secrets to longer life.