"Nov. 9, 2012 -- If you're allergic to pollen, brace yourself.
"By the year 2040, we will get about 1.5 to two times the amount of pollen that we have now," says Leonard Bielory, MD. Bielory is professor of environmental prediction at "...
Cyproheptadine Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Periactin
Generic Name: cyproheptadine (Pronunciation: SIP roe HEP ta deen)
- What is cyproheptadine (Cyproheptadine)?
- What are the possible side effects of cyproheptadine (Cyproheptadine)?
- What is the most important information I should know about cyproheptadine (Cyproheptadine)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking cyproheptadine (Cyproheptadine)?
- How should I take cyproheptadine (Cyproheptadine)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Cyproheptadine)?
- What happens if I overdose (Cyproheptadine)?
- What should I avoid while taking cyproheptadine (Cyproheptadine)?
- What other drugs will affect cyproheptadine (Cyproheptadine)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is cyproheptadine (Cyproheptadine)?
Cyproheptadine an antihistamine that reduces the natural chemical histamine in the body. Histamine can produce symptoms of sneezing, itching, watery eyes, and runny nose
Cyproheptadine is used to treat sneezing, itching, watery eyes, runny nose, and other symptoms of allergies.
Cyproheptadine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Cyproheptadine 4 mg-BAR
round, white, imprinted with SL 314
Cyproheptadine 4 mg-IVA
round, white, imprinted with Z 2929
Cyproheptadine 4 mg-TEV
round, white, imprinted with 93 2929
Periactin 4 mg
round, white, imprinted with PERIACTIN, MSD 62
What are the possible side effects of cyproheptadine (Cyproheptadine)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking cyproheptadine and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- confusion, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior;
- seizure (convulsions);
- ringing in your ears;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- fast or pounding heartbeats;
- easy bruising or bleeding;
- urinating less than usual or not at all; or
- pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, fever, or unusual weakness.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild drowsiness, dizziness, or spinning sensation;
- feeling restlessness or excited (especially in children);
- sleep problems (insomnia), tired feeling;
- numbness or tingly feeling;
- increased sweating or urination;
- blurred vision;
- appetite changes;
- dry mouth or nose, upset stomach; or
- nausea, diarrhea, constipation.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Cyproheptadine (cyproheptadine hydrochloride) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about cyproheptadine (Cyproheptadine)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to cyproheptadine, or if you have narrow-angle glaucoma, a stomach ulcer or obstruction, an enlarged prostate or urination problems, if you are having an asthma attack, or if you are elderly or have a debilitating disease.
Before taking cyproheptadine, tell your doctor if you have glaucoma, a history of asthma, high blood pressure, heart disease, or an overactive thyroid.
Cyproheptadine may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of cyproheptadine.
Additional Cyproheptadine Information
Cyproheptadine - User Reviews
Cyproheptadine User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.