"What are anxiety medications and how do they work?
Anxiety is both a normal and useful response to potentially stressful or dangerous situations. It helps by increasing our awareness of what's going on around us and in other ways. For"...
Dalmane Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Dalmane
Generic Name: flurazepam (Pronunciation: flure AZ e pam)
- What is flurazepam (Dalmane)?
- What are the possible side effects of flurazepam (Dalmane)?
- What is the most important information I should know about flurazepam (Dalmane)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking flurazepam (Dalmane)?
- How should I take flurazepam (Dalmane)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Dalmane)?
- What happens if I overdose (Dalmane)?
- What should I avoid while taking flurazepam (Dalmane)?
- What other drugs will affect flurazepam (Dalmane)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is flurazepam (Dalmane)?
Flurazepam is a benzodiazepine (ben-zoe-dye-AZE-eh-peen) similar to Valium. Flurazepam affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause sleep problems (insomnia).
Flurazepam is used to treat insomnia symptoms, such as trouble falling or staying asleep.
Flurazepam may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Dalmane 30 mg
red/yellow, imprinted with DALMANE 30 ROCHE
Flurazepam 15 mg-MYL
capsule, blue/white, imprinted with MYLAN 4415
Flurazepam 30 mg-MYL
capsule, blue, imprinted with MYLAN 4430
What are the possible side effects of flurazepam (Dalmane)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- feeling like you might pass out;
- staggering walk, loss of balance or coordination;
- agitation, confusion, slurred speech, hallucinations, feelings of extreme happiness or sadness;
- chest pain, fast or pounding heartbeats, feeling short of breath;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- problems with urination;
- vision problems, burning in your eyes; or
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- dizziness, weakness, daytime drowsiness (or during hours when you are not normally sleeping);
- headache, blurred vision, depressed mood;
- stomach pain, heartburn, upset stomach, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation;
- feeling nervous, excited, or irritable;
- increased sweating;
- flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling);
- mild itching or rash; or
- dry mouth, unpleasant taste in your mouth.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Dalmane (flurazepam) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about flurazepam (Dalmane)?
Flurazepam may cause a severe allergic reaction. Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Take flurazepam only when you are getting ready for several hours of sleep. You may fall asleep very quickly after taking the medicine.
Some people using this medication have engaged in activity such as driving, eating, or making phone calls and later having no memory of the activity. If this happens to you, stop taking flurazepam and talk with your doctor about another treatment for your sleep disorder.
This medication can cause birth defects in an unborn baby, or withdrawal symptoms in a newborn. Do not use flurazepam if you are pregnant.
Before taking flurazepam, tell your doctor if you have any breathing problems, glaucoma, kidney or liver disease, myasthenia gravis, or a history of depression, suicidal thoughts, or addiction to drugs or alcohol.
Flurazepam may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person for whom it was prescribed. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it.
Contact your doctor if your insomnia does not improve after taking flurazepam for 7 to 10 nights, or if you have any mood or behavior changes. Insomnia can be a symptom of depression, mental illness, or certain medical conditions.
Additional Dalmane Information
- Dalmane Drug Interactions Center: flurazepam oral
- Dalmane Side Effects Center
- Dalmane Overview including Precautions
- Dalmane FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Dalmane - User Reviews
Dalmane User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.