"What are benzodiazepines, and how do they work?
Benzodiazepines are a class of drugs primarily used for treating anxiety, but they also are effective in treating several other conditions. The exact mechanism of action of benzodiaz"...
Dalmane Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Dalmane
Generic Name: flurazepam (Pronunciation: flure AZ e pam)
- What is flurazepam (Dalmane)?
- What are the possible side effects of flurazepam (Dalmane)?
- What is the most important information I should know about flurazepam (Dalmane)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking flurazepam (Dalmane)?
- How should I take flurazepam (Dalmane)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Dalmane)?
- What happens if I overdose (Dalmane)?
- What should I avoid while taking flurazepam (Dalmane)?
- What other drugs will affect flurazepam (Dalmane)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is flurazepam (Dalmane)?
Flurazepam is in a group of drugs called benzodiazepines (ben-zoe-dye-AZE-eh-peens). Flurazepam affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause sleep problems (insomnia).
Flurazepam is used to treat insomnia symptoms, such as trouble falling or staying asleep.
Flurazepam may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Dalmane 30 mg
red/yellow, imprinted with DALMANE 30 ROCHE
Flurazepam 15 mg-MYL
turquoise/white, imprinted with MYLAN 4415
Flurazepam 30 mg-MYL
turquoise, imprinted with MYLAN 4430
What are the possible side effects of flurazepam (Dalmane)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using flurazepam and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- weak or shallow breathing;
- fast or pounding heartbeats;
- confusion, slurred speech, unusual thoughts or behavior;
- hallucinations, agitation, aggression;
- thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;
- restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw, or neck;
- pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- problems with urination; or
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- daytime drowsiness (or during hours when you are not normally sleeping);
- amnesia or forgetfulness;
- muscle weakness, lack of balance or coordination;
- numbness, burning, pain, or tingly feeling;
- headache, blurred vision, depressed mood;
- feeling nervous, excited, or irritable;
- nausea, vomiting, stomach discomfort; or
- dry mouth, increased thirst.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Dalmane (flurazepam) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about flurazepam (Dalmane)?
Some people using this medicine have engaged in activity such as driving, eating, or making phone calls and later having no memory of the activity. If this happens to you, stop taking flurazepam and talk with your doctor about another treatment for your sleep disorder.
Before taking flurazepam, tell your doctor if you have any breathing problems, glaucoma, kidney or liver disease, myasthenia gravis, or a history of depression, suicidal thoughts, or addiction to drugs or alcohol.
Flurazepam may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Flurazepam should never be shared with another person, especially someone who has a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it.
Contact your doctor if your insomnia does not improve after taking flurazepam for 7 to 10 nights, or if you have any mood or behavior changes. Insomnia can be a symptom of depression, mental illness, or certain medical conditions.
Additional Dalmane Information
- Dalmane Drug Interactions Center: flurazepam oral
- Dalmane Side Effects Center
- Dalmane Overview including Precautions
- Dalmane FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Dalmane - User Reviews
Dalmane User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.