- What other names is Damiana known by?
- What is Damiana?
- How does Damiana work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Damiana.
Damiana is used to treat headache, bedwetting, depression, nervous stomach, and constipation; for prevention and treatment of sexual problems; boosting and maintaining mental and physical stamina; and as an aphrodisiac.
Some people inhale damiana for a slight "high."
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Sexual problems. Early research suggests that taking a specific combination product containing damiana, L-arginine, American ginseng, Panax ginseng, ginkgo, vitamins, and minerals (ArginMax) might improve sexual satisfaction, increase orgasm frequency, and reduce vaginal dryness in women with sexual problems who are interested in improving their sex lives.
- Weight loss. Early research suggests that taking a specific combination product containing damiana, guarana, and yerba mate might reduce body weight in people who are overweight.
- Nervous upset stomach.
- Boosting mental and physical stamina.
- Other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Next: How does Damiana work?
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.