"Nov. 18, 2012 -- Researchers say they've been able to use nanoparticles to stop multiple sclerosis (MS) in mice that are bred to have the disease.
The particles are about 200 times smaller than the thickness of a human hair. They are "...
Dantrium Capsules Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Dantrium
Generic Name: dantrolene (oral) (Pronunciation: DAN troe leen)
- What is dantrolene (Dantrium Capsules)?
- What are the possible side effects of dantrolene (Dantrium Capsules)?
- What is the most important information I should know about dantrolene (Dantrium Capsules)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking dantrolene (Dantrium Capsules)?
- How should I take dantrolene (Dantrium Capsules)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Dantrium Capsules)?
- What happens if I overdose (Dantrium Capsules)?
- What should I avoid while taking dantrolene (Dantrium Capsules)?
- What other drugs will affect dantrolene (Dantrium Capsules)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is dantrolene (Dantrium Capsules)?
Dantrolene is a muscle relaxant.
Dantrolene is used to treat muscle spasticity (stiffness and spasms) caused by conditions such as a spinal cord injury, stroke, cerebral palsy, or multiple sclerosis.
Dantrolene is also used to prevent muscle stiffness and spasms caused by malignant hyperthermia (a rapid rise in body temperature) that can occur during surgery with certain types of anesthesia.
Dantrolene may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Dantrium 25 mg
orange/peach, imprinted with DANTRIUM 25 mg, 0149 0030
Dantrolene 100 mg-GLO
capsule, red/yellow, imprinted with G443
Dantrolene 25 mg-GLO
capsule, green/yellow, imprinted with G441
Dantrolene 50 mg-GLO
capsule, blue/yellow, imprinted with G442
What are the possible side effects of dantrolene (Dantrium Capsules)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- severe diarrhea or constipation;
- weak or shallow breathing;
- pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding;
- trouble swallowing, especially if it causes choking;
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- black, bloody, or tarry stools;
- coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- seizure (black-out or convulsions); or
- urinating less than usual or not at all.
Less serious side effects may include:
- drowsiness, dizziness, weakness, tired feeling;
- mild diarrhea or constipation;
- mild nausea, vomiting, stomach pain;
- problems with speech, balance, or walking;
- headache, confusion, vision problems;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- sweating, drooling; or
- urinating more than usual.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Dantrium Capsules (dantrolene sodium capsules) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about dantrolene (Dantrium Capsules)?
You should not take this medication if you are allergic to dantrolene, or if you have liver disease such as hepatitis or cirrhosis.
You may be more likely to develop liver problems while taking dantrolene if you are a woman, or if you are older than 35. Talk with your doctor about your individual risk.
Do not use dantrolene at a time when muscle tone is needed to assure safe balance and movement for certain activities. In some situations, it may endanger your physical safety to be in a state of reduced muscle tone.
Before taking dantrolene, tell your doctor if you have a history of liver disease, a breathing disorder such as COPD, heart disease, or a history of heart attack.
Dantrolene can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.
Dantrolene can cause muscle weakness, which can affect your ability to swallow. Use caution to prevent choking while you are eating meals. Talk with your doctor if you are unable to eat because of this side effect.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase some of the side effects of dantrolene.
Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results from this medication.
Additional Dantrium Capsules Information
- Dantrium Capsules Drug Interactions Center: dantrolene oral
- Dantrium Capsules Side Effects Center
- Dantrium Capsules Overview including Precautions
- Dantrium Capsules FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Dantrium Capsules - User Reviews
Dantrium Capsules User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.