"The US Food and Drug Administration's (FDA's) Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Devices Panel of the Medical Devices Advisory Committee voted yesterday to recommend premarket approval of the Cartiva Synthetic Cartilage Implant for use in pati"...
Daypro Alta Side Effects Center
Medical Editor: John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP
Daypro Alta (oxaprozin potassium tablets) is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) used for the treatment of inflammation and the pain, fever, swelling and tenderness of joints caused by osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Daypro Alta is available in generic form. Common side effects of Daypro Alta include skin itching or rash, ringing in the ears, headaches, dizziness, nervousness, drowsiness, abdominal or stomach pain, upset stomach, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, bloating, gas, heartburn, fluid retention, shortness of breath, dry mouth, increased sweating, runny nose, or blurred vision.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What is Patient Information in Detail?
Easy-to-read and understand detailed drug information and pill images for the patient or caregiver from Cerner Multum.
Daypro Alta in Detail - Patient Information: Side Effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking oxaprozin and seek medical attention or call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, problems with vision or balance;
- black, bloody, or tarry stools, coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash; or
- bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness.
Less serious side effects may include:
- upset stomach, mild heartburn or stomach pain, diarrhea, constipation; bloating, gas;
- dizziness, headache, nervousness;
- skin itching or rash;
- dry mouth;
- increased sweating, runny nose;
- blurred vision; or
- ringing in your ears.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the entire detailed patient monograph for Daypro Alta (Oxaprozin)
What is Prescribing information?
The FDA package insert formatted in easy-to-find categories for health professionals and clinicians.
Daypro Alta FDA Prescribing Information: Side Effects
The following adverse reactions are discussed in greater detail in other sections of the labeling:
- Cardiovascular Thrombotic Events [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- GI Bleeding, Ulceration and Perforation [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Hepatotoxicity [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Hypertension [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Heart Failure and Edema [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Renal Toxicity and Hyperkalemia [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Anaphylactic Reactions [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Serious Skin Reactions [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Hematologic Toxicity [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
Clinical Trials Experience
Because clinical trials are conducted under widely varying conditions, adverse reaction rates observed in the clinical trials of a drug cannot be directly compared to rates in the clinical trials of another drug and may not reflect the rates observed in practice.
In patients taking DAYPRO ALTA (oxaprozin potassium tablets), oxaprozin, or other NSAIDs , the following are the most frequently reported adverse experiences occurring in approximately 1-10% of patients [see Clinical Studies]:
Gastrointestinal experiences including: abdominal pain, anorexia, constipation, diarrhea, dyspepsia, flatulence, gross gastrointestinal bleeding/perforation, GI ulcers (gastric/duodenal), heartburn, nausea, vomiting.
Non-gastrointestinal experiences including: abnormal renal function, anemia, confusion, depression, disturbance of sleep, dizziness, dysuria or frequency, edema, elevated liver enzymes, headaches, increased bleeding time, pruritus, rashes, sedation, somnolence, tinnitus.
Additional Adverse Experiences Reported In Less Than 1% Of Patients:
Body as a whole: anaphylactic reactions, appetite changes, death, fever, infection, sepsis, serum sickness.
Digestive system: alteration in taste, dry mouth, eructation, esophagitis, gastritis, glossitis, hematemesis, hemorrhoidal or rectal bleeding, hepatitis, jaundice, liver failure, pancreatitis, stomatitis.
Metabolic and nutritional: hyperglycemia, weight changes.
Skin and appendages: alopecia. angioedema, increased sweating, photosensitivity, pseudoporphyria, exfoliative dermatitis, erythema multiforme, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis (Lyell’ssyndrome), urticaria.
Special senses: blurred vision, conjunctivitis, hearing impairment.
Urogenital system: acute interstitial nephritis, acute renal failure, cystitis, decreased menstrual flow, hematuria, increase in menstrual flow, nephrotic syndrome, oliguria/polyuria, proteinuria, renal insufficiency.
Read the entire FDA prescribing information for Daypro Alta (Oxaprozin)
Additional Daypro Alta Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options