"Feb. 15, 2013 -- The CDC is investigating an outbreak of salmonella linked to raw Foster Farms chicken that has sickened 124 people in 12 states.
No deaths have been reported.
Most of the people infected with the illness, "...
Declomycin Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Declomycin
Generic Name: demeclocycline (Pronunciation: DEM e kloe SYE kleen)
- What is demeclocycline (Declomycin)?
- What are the possible side effects of demeclocycline (Declomycin)?
- What is the most important information I should know about demeclocycline (Declomycin)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking demeclocycline (Declomycin)?
- How should I take demeclocycline (Declomycin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Declomycin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Declomycin)?
- What should I avoid while taking demeclocycline (Declomycin)?
- What other drugs will affect demeclocycline (Declomycin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is demeclocycline (Declomycin)?
Demeclocycline is a tetracycline antibiotic. It fights bacteria in the body.
Demeclocycline is used to treat many different bacterial infections, such as urinary tract infections, acne, gonorrhea, chlamydia, and others.
Demeclocycline may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Declomycin 150 mg
round, red, imprinted with LL, D 11
Declomycin 300 mg
round, red, imprinted with LL, D 12
Demeclocycline 150 mg-BAR
round, pink, imprinted with 150, b 701
Demeclocycline 150 mg-GLO
round, red, imprinted with G, 2111
Demeclocycline 300 mg-BAR
round, pink, imprinted with 300, b 702
Demeclocycline 300 mg-GLO
round, red, imprinted with G, 2122
What are the possible side effects of demeclocycline (Declomycin)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using demeclocycline and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;
- pale skin, dark colored urine, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- confusion, mood changes, weakness, increased thirst or urination;
- swelling, weight gain, urinating less than usual or not at all;
- chest pain, wheezing, dry cough, rapid breathing, feeling short of breath;
- severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
- headache, ringing in your ears, dizziness, nausea, vision problems, pain behind your eyes;
- sore throat and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash; or
- severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate.
Less serious side effects may include:
- sores or swelling in your rectal or genital area;
- mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite;
- white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips;
- swollen tongue, trouble swallowing; or
- vaginal itching or discharge.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Declomycin (demeclocycline hcl) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about demeclocycline (Declomycin)?
You should not take this medication if you are allergic to demeclocycline or to similar antibiotics such as doxycycline (Adoxa, Alodox, Avidoxy, Oraxyl, Doryx, Oracea, Vibramycin), minocycline (Dynacin, Minocin, Solodyn), or tetracycline (Ala-Tet, Brodspec, Panmycin, Sumycin, Tetracap).
Demeclocycline can make birth control pills less effective. Ask your doctor about using a non-hormone method of birth control (such as a condom, diaphragm, spermicide) to prevent pregnancy while taking demeclocycline.
Demeclocycline passes into breast milk and may affect bone and tooth development in a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while you are taking demeclocycline.
Do not give demeclocycline to a child younger than 8 years old. Demeclocycline can affect a child's growth or cause permanent yellowing or graying of the teeth.
Avoid exposure to sunlight or tanning beds. Demeclocycline can make you sunburn more easily. Wear protective clothing and use sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) when you are outdoors.
Do not take iron supplements, multivitamins, calcium supplements, antacids, or laxatives within 2 hours before or after taking demeclocycline. Also avoid a product that contains bismuth subsalicylate (such as Pepto-Bismol) within 2 hours before or after taking demeclocycline. These medications can make it harder for your body to absorb demeclocycline.
Throw away any unused demeclocycline after the expiration date on the label has passed.
Additional Declomycin Information
- Declomycin Drug Interactions Center: demeclocycline oral
- Declomycin Side Effects Center
- Declomycin Overview including Precautions
- Declomycin FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Declomycin - User Reviews
Declomycin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.