"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved a new use for Simponi (golimumab) injection to treat adults with moderate to severe ulcerative colitis.
Simponi works by blocking tumor necrosis factor (TNF), which plays an important"...
- Instruct patients to swallow the Delzicol whole, taking care not to break, cut, or chew the capsules, because the coating is an important part of the delayed-release formulation.
- Instruct patients to take Delzicol at least one hour before a meal or two hours after a meal.
- Inform patients that if they are switching from a previous oral mesalamine therapy to Delzicol they should discontinue their previous oral mesalamine therapy and follow the dosing instructions for Delzicol.
- Inform patients that intact, partially intact, and/or capsule shells have been reported in the stool. Instruct patients to contact their physician if this occurs repeatedly.
- Instruct patients to protect Delzicol from moisture. Instruct patients to close the container tightly and to leave any desiccant pouches present in the bottle along with the capsules.
Last reviewed on RxList: 2/19/2013
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Delzicol Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.