"Dec. 18, 2012 -- People who can't get their high blood pressure down with drugs may be helped by a new procedure that deactivates overactive nerves in the kidneys, a small study shows.
The procedure is already available in Europe and "...
Demadex Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Demadex
Generic Name: torsemide (Pronunciation: TORE se mide)
- What is torsemide (Demadex)?
- What are the possible side effects of torsemide
- What is the most important information I should know about torsemide (Demadex)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking torsemide (Demadex)?
- How should I take torsemide (Demadex)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Demadex)?
- What happens if I overdose (Demadex)?
- What should I avoid while taking torsemide (Demadex)?
- What other drugs will affect torsemide (Demadex)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is torsemide (Demadex)?
Torsemide is a loop diuretic (water pill) that prevents your body from absorbing too much salt, allowing the salt to instead be passed in your urine.
Torsemide treats fluid retention (edema) in people with congestive heart failure, liver disease, or a kidney disorder such as nephrotic syndrome. This medication is also used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension).
Torsemide may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Demadex 10 mg
oval, white, imprinted with 10, LOGO 103
Demadex 100 mg
oblong, white, imprinted with LOGO 105, 100
Demadex 20 mg
elliptical, white, imprinted with LOGO 104, 20
Demadex 5 mg
oval, white, imprinted with LOGO 102, 5
Torsemide 10 mg-APO
oblong, white, imprinted with APO, TO 10
Torsemide 10 mg-PAR
round, white, imprinted with 10, PAR 652
Torsemide 10 mg-ROX
round, white, imprinted with 54 016
Torsemide 10 mg-TEV
oval, white, imprinted with 7128, 9 3
Torsemide 100 mg-APO
oblong, white, imprinted with APO, TOR 100
Torsemide 100 mg-PAR
round, white, imprinted with 100, par 654
Torsemide 100 mg-TEV
oblong, white, imprinted with 9 3, 7130
Torsemide 20 mg-APO
oblong, white, imprinted with APO, TO 20
Torsemide 20 mg-PAR
round, white, imprinted with 20, par 653
Torsemide 20 mg-ROX
round, white, imprinted with 54 017
Torsemide 20 mg-TEV
oval, white, imprinted with 9 3, 7129
Torsemide 5 mg-APO
oblong, white, imprinted with APO, T 5
Torsemide 5 mg-PAR
round, white, imprinted with 5, par 651
Torsemide 5 mg-ROX
round, white, imprinted with 54 015
Torsemide 5 mg-TEV
oval, white, imprinted with 9 3, 7127
What are the possible side effects of torsemide
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- vomiting, fast heartbeats, feeling restless;
- ringing in your ears, sudden hearing loss;
- feeling very thirsty or hot, being unable to urinate, heavy sweating, or hot and dry skin
- feeling like you might pass out;
- low potassium (confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling);
- headache, slurred speech, hallucinations, vomiting, severe weakness, muscle cramps, loss of coordination, feeling unsteady, seizure (convulsions), fainting, shallow breathing or breathing that stops;
- severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting;
- sudden numbness or weakness, sudden severe headache, problems with speech or balance;
- swelling or warmth in one or both legs, chest pain, sudden cough, wheezing, rapid breathing, coughing up blood; or
- high blood sugar (increased thirst, increased urination, hunger, dry mouth, fruity breath odor, drowsiness, dry skin, blurred vision, weight loss).
Other common side effects may include:
- increased urination;
- mild nausea, upset stomach;
- mild headache, dizziness;
- diarrhea or constipation;
- joint pain;
- cough, runny nose; or
- decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Demadex (torsemide) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about torsemide (Demadex)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to torsemide or if you are unable to urinate
Before you take torsemide, tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, cirrhosis or liver disease, or an allergy to sulfa drugs.
You may need regular medical tests to be sure this medication is not causing harmful effects. Visit your doctor regularly.
Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated during exercise and in hot weather. Follow your doctor's instructions about the type and amount of liquids you should drink.
If you are being treated for high blood pressure, keep using this medication even if you feel well. High blood pressure often has no symptoms. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
Additional Demadex Information
- Demadex Drug Interactions Center: torsemide oral
- Demadex Side Effects Center
- Demadex Overview including Precautions
- Demadex FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Demadex - User Reviews
Demadex User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on handling your hypertension.