"For what conditions are pain medications used?
Virtually any disease as well as most injuries and surgical procedures involve some degree of pain. It's not surprising, then, that pain medications, also known as analgesics, are among t"...
Demerol Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Demerol HCl
Generic Name: meperidine (Pronunciation: me PER i deen)
- What is meperidine (Demerol)?
- What are the possible side effects of meperidine (Demerol)?
- What is the most important information I should know about meperidine (Demerol)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking meperidine (Demerol)?
- How should I take meperidine (Demerol)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Demerol)?
- What happens if I overdose (Demerol)?
- What should I avoid while taking meperidine (Demerol)?
- What other drugs will affect meperidine (Demerol)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is meperidine (Demerol)?
Meperidine is a narcotic pain reliever. It is similar to morphine.
Meperidine is used to treat moderate-to-severe pain.
Meperidine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Demerol 50 mg
round, white, imprinted with W, D 35
Meperidine 100 mg-BAR
round, white, imprinted with barr, 382
Meperidine 100 mg-MAL
round, white, imprinted with 7115, M inside square
Meperidine 100 mg-ROX
round, white, imprinted with 54 163
Meperidine 100 mg-WAT
round, white, imprinted with 727 100, WATSON
Meperidine 50 mg-BAR
round, white, imprinted with 381 b
Meperidine 50 mg-ROX
round, white, imprinted with 54 879
Meperidine 50 mg-WAT
round, white, imprinted with 726 50, WATSON
What are the possible side effects of meperidine (Demerol)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- shallow breathing, slow heartbeat;
- seizure (convulsions);
- cold, clammy skin;
- severe weakness or dizziness; or
- feeling light-headed, fainting.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite;
- dizziness, headache;
- dry mouth;
- urinating less than usual; or
- loss of interest in sex.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Demerol (meperidine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about meperidine (Demerol)?
Meperidine may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it.
Do not drink alcohol while you are taking meperidine. Dangerous side effects or death can occur when alcohol is combined with a narcotic pain medicine. Check your food and medicine labels to be sure these products do not contain alcohol.
This medication may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Do not stop using meperidine suddenly, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Ask your doctor how to avoid withdrawal symptoms when you stop using meperidine.
Additional Demerol Information
- Demerol Drug Interactions Center: meperidine oral
- Demerol Side Effects Center
- Demerol Overview including Precautions
- Demerol FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Demerol - User Reviews
Demerol User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.