"A new consumer-friendly form ( is now available for making reports to MedWatch, the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) on-line system for collecting information about serious problems with drugs, medical devices and other FDA-"...
Demser Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Demser
Generic Name: metyrosine (Pronunciation: me TYE roe seen)
- What is metyrosine (Demser)?
- What are the possible side effects of metyrosine (Demser)?
- What is the most important information I should know about metyrosine (Demser)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking metyrosine (Demser)?
- How should I take metyrosine (Demser)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Demser)?
- What happens if I overdose (Demser)?
- What should I avoid while taking metyrosine (Demser)?
- What other drugs will affect metyrosine (Demser)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is metyrosine (Demser)?
Metyrosine is used to treat pheochromocytoma (tumor of the adrenal gland).
Metyrosine is given before surgery to control pheochromocytoma, and is also given when surgery is not possible.
Metyrosine may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of metyrosine (Demser)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- difficulty speaking;
- muscle spasms;
- diarrhea; or
- painful urination.
Less serious side effects may include:
- depression, hallucinations, disorientation, and confusion;
- stomach upset, vomiting, stomach pain; or
- dry mouth.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Demser (metyrosine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about metyrosine (Demser)?
Metyrosine can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase some of the side effects of metyrosine.
Call your doctor at once if you have confusion, trouble speaking, tremors, drooling, diarrhea, or painful urination.
Drink plenty of fluid every day--at least six to eight full glasses (8 ounces)--to prevent metyrosine crystals from forming in your urine.
Additional Demser Information
- Demser Drug Interactions Center: metyrosine oral
- Demser Side Effects Center
- Demser Overview including Precautions
- Demser FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Demser - User Reviews
Demser User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.