"About 1 out of 10 people has had a seizure. Do you know what to do if someone has a seizure near you? Read below to learn more.
About 1 out of 10 people has had a seizure. That means seizures are common, and one day you might need to help s"...
Overdosage with valproate may result in somnolence, heart block, deep coma, and hypernatremia. Fatalities have been reported; however patients have recovered from valproate serum concentrations as high as 2120 mcg/mL.
In overdose situations, the fraction of drug not bound to protein is high and hemodialysis or tandem hemodialysis plus hemoperfusion may result in significant removal of drug. General supportive measures should be applied with particular attention to the maintenance of adequate urinary output.
Naloxone has been reported to reverse the CNS depressant effects of valproate overdosage. Because naloxone could theoretically also reverse the antiepilepsy effects of valproate, it should be used with caution in patients with epilepsy.
- Depacon should not be administered to patients with hepatic disease or significant hepatic dysfunction [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
- Depacon is contraindicated in patients known to have mitochondrial disorders caused by mutations in mitochondrial DNA polymerase γ (POLG; e.g., Alpers-Huttenlocher Syndrome) and children under two years of age who are suspected of having a POLG-related disorder [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
- Depacon is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to the drug [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
- Depacon is contraindicated in patients with known urea cycle disorders [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
Last reviewed on RxList: 3/7/2016
Additional Depacon Information
- Depacon Drug Interactions Center: valproate sodium iv
- Depacon Side Effects Center
- Depacon FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find tips and treatments to control seizures.