"Jan. 15, 2013 -- Women who have migraine with aura may have a higher risk of heart attacks, and they may face a higher risk of dangerous blood clots if they use certain hormonal contraceptives.
Those are the findings from two newly pu"...
In overdose situations, the fraction of drug not bound to protein is high and hemodialysis or tandem hemodialysis plus hemoperfusion may result in significant removal of drug. The benefit of gastric lavage or emesis will vary with the time since ingestion. General supportive measures should be applied with particular attention to the maintenance of adequate urinary output.
Naloxone has been reported to reverse the CNS depressant effects of valproate over dosage. Because naloxone could theoretically also reverse the antiepileptic effects of valproate, it should be used with caution in patients with epilepsy.
- Depakote ER should not be administered to patients with hepatic disease or significant hepatic dysfunction [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
- Depakote ER is contraindicated in patients known to have mitochondrial disorders caused by mutations in mitochondrial DNA polymerase γ(POLG; e.g., Alpers-Huttenlocher Syndrome) and children under two years of age who are suspected of having a POLG-related disorder [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
- Depakote ER is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to the drug [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
- Depakote ER is contraindicated in patients with known urea cycle disorders [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
- Depakote ER is contraindicated for use in prophylaxis of migraine headaches in pregnant women [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS and Use In Specific Populations].
Last reviewed on RxList: 6/19/2014
Additional Depakote ER Information
Depakote ER - User Reviews
Depakote ER User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find the secrets to longer life.