Depakote Sprinkle Capsules
"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration yesterday approved Briviact (brivaracetam) as an add-on treatment to other medications to treat partial onset seizures in patients age 16 years and older with epilepsy.
Epilepsy is a brain disorder "...
Depakote Sprinkle Capsules
Overdosage with valproate may result in somnolence, heart block, deep coma, and hypernatremia. Fatalities have been reported; however patients have recovered from valproate levels as high as 2,120 mcg/mL.
In overdose situations, the fraction of drug not bound to protein is high and hemodialysis or tandem hemodialysis plus hemoperfusion may result in significant removal of drug. The benefit of gastric lavage or emesis will vary with the time since ingestion. General supportive measures should be applied with particular attention to the maintenance of adequate urinary output.
Naloxone has been reported to reverse the CNS depressant effects of valproate over dosage. Because naloxone could theoretically also reverse the antiepileptic effects of valproate, it should be used with caution in patients with epilepsy.
- Depakote Sprinkle Capsules should not be administered to patients with hepatic disease or significant hepatic dysfunction [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
- Depakote Sprinkle Capsules is contraindicated in patients known to have mitochondrial disorders caused by mutations in mitochondrial DNA polymerase γ (POLG; e.g., Alpers-Huttenlocher Syndrome) and children under two years of age who are suspected of having a POLG-related disorder [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
- Depakote Sprinkle Capsules is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to the drug [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
- Depakote Sprinkle Capsules is contraindicated in patients with known urea cycle disorders [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
Last reviewed on RxList: 3/7/2016
Additional Depakote Sprinkle Capsules Information
- Depakote Sprinkle Capsules Drug Interactions Center: divalproex oral
- Depakote Sprinkle Capsules Side Effects Center
- Depakote Sprinkle Capsules in detail including Side Effects and Drug Images
- Depakote Sprinkle Capsules Overview including Precautions
- Depakote Sprinkle Capsules FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Depakote Sprinkle Capsules - User Reviews
Depakote Sprinkle Capsules User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find tips and treatments to control seizures.