"By Kathleen Doheny
WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Arefa Cassoobhoy, MD, MPH
March 10, 2015 -- Drugs known as biologics have grabbed headlines over the years, both for their potential in fighting cancer and other diseases, and f"...
DepoCyt Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: DepoCyt
Generic Name: cytarabine liposomal (Pronunciation: sye TAR a been LYE poe SOE mal)
- What is cytarabine liposomal (DepoCyt)?
- What are the possible side effects of cytarabine liposomal (DepoCyt)?
- What is the most important information I should know about cytarabine liposomal (DepoCyt)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before receiving cytarabine liposomal (DepoCyt)?
- How is cytarabine liposomal given (DepoCyt)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (DepoCyt)?
- What happens if I overdose (DepoCyt)?
- What should I avoid while receiving cytarabine liposomal (DepoCyt)?
- What other drugs will affect cytarabine liposomal (DepoCyt)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is cytarabine liposomal (DepoCyt)?
Cytarabine liposomal is a cancer medication. Cytarabine liposomal interferes with the growth of cancer cells and slows their growth and spread in the body.
Cytarabine liposomal is used to treat lymphoma associated with meningitis.
Cytarabine liposomal may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of cytarabine liposomal (DepoCyt)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- nausea and vomiting with headache and fever;
- neck stiffness or pain, seizure (convulsions);
- extreme drowsiness, loss of muscle control;
- confusion, personality changes, problems with memory or concentration, sleep problems, agitation;
- problems with speech, vision, hearing, or balance,
- numbness, tingling, or burning pain that interferes with daily activities;
- loss of bladder or bowel control;
- pale skin, feeling light-headed or short of breath, rapid heart rate;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin; or
- flu symptoms, sores in your mouth and throat.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild nausea or vomiting;
- diarrhea, constipation, stomach pain;
- swelling in your hands or feet;
- dizziness, tired feeling;
- joint pain, back pain; or
- pain in your arms or legs.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the DepoCyt (cytarabine liposome injection) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about cytarabine liposomal (DepoCyt)?
Do not use cytarabine liposomal if you are pregnant. It could harm the unborn baby.
You should not receive this medication if you are allergic to cytarabine or if you have an active meningitis infection.
Before you receive cytarabine liposomal, tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions and any other medications you use. You may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely use cytarabine liposomal.
Tell your caregivers at once if you have nausea and vomiting with headache and fever. These may be early signs of central nervous system damage.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as neck stiffness or pain, extreme drowsiness, confusion, personality changes, seizure, loss of muscle control, problems with vision or hearing, severe numbness or tingling, or loss of bladder or bowel control.
Additional DepoCyt Information
DepoCyt - User Reviews
DepoCyt User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.