"Most children get restless, rowdy, or distracted at times. That’s all part of being a kid. But some kids have such trouble paying attention, staying focused, and finishing tasks that it interferes with their schoolwork, home life, and fr"...
Desoxyn Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Desoxyn
Generic Name: methamphetamine (Pronunciation: METH am FET a meen)
- What is methamphetamine (Desoxyn)?
- What are the possible side effects of methamphetamine (Desoxyn)?
- What is the most important information I should know about methamphetamine (Desoxyn)?
- What should I discuss with my doctor before taking methamphetamine (Desoxyn)?
- How should I take methamphetamine (Desoxyn)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Desoxyn)?
- What happens if I overdose (Desoxyn)?
- What should I avoid while taking methamphetamine (Desoxyn)?
- What other drugs will affect methamphetamine (Desoxyn)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is methamphetamine (Desoxyn)?
Methamphetamine is a central nervous system stimulant. It affects chemicals in the brain and nerves that contribute to hyperactivity and impulse control.
Methamphetamine is used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). It is also used to treat obesity after other diets or medications have been tried without successful weight loss.
Methamphetamine may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of methamphetamine (Desoxyn)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using methamphetamine and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeats;
- feeling light-headed, fainting;
- dangerously high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, confusion, chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, seizure); or
- tremor, restlessness, hallucinations, unusual behavior, or motor tics (muscle twitches).
Less serious side effects may include:
- headache or dizziness;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- dry mouth or an unpleasant taste in your mouth;
- diarrhea, constipation;
- loss of appetite, weight loss; or
- loss of interest in sex, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Desoxyn (methamphetamine hydrochloride) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about methamphetamine (Desoxyn)?
Do not use methamphetamine if you have used an MAO inhibitor such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), tranylcypromine (Parnate), phenelzine (Nardil), rasagiline (Azilect), or selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam) within the past 14 days. Serious, life-threatening side effects can occur if you take methamphetamine before the MAO inhibitor has cleared from your body.
Do not use this medication if you are allergic to methamphetamine, or if you have hardened arteries (arteriosclerosis), heart disease, moderate to severe high blood pressure (hypertension), overactive thyroid, glaucoma, severe anxiety or agitation, or a history of drug or alcohol addiction.
Some stimulants have caused sudden death in children and adolescents with serious heart problems or congenital heart defects. Before taking methamphetamine, tell your doctor if you have any type of heart problems.
Do not give this medication to a child younger than 12 years old without the advice of a doctor.
Long-term use of methamphetamine can slow a child's growth. Tell your doctor if the child using this medication is not growing or gaining weight properly.
Methamphetamine is a drug of abuse and may be habit-forming. Keep track of how many pills have been used from each new bottle of this medicine. You should be aware if any person in the household is using this medicine improperly or without a prescription. Using this medication improperly can cause death or serious side effects on the heart.
Additional Desoxyn Information
- Desoxyn Drug Interactions Center: methamphetamine oral
- Desoxyn Side Effects Center
- Desoxyn Overview including Precautions
- Desoxyn FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Desoxyn - User Reviews
Desoxyn User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.