"Jan. 25, 2013 -- The FDA has approved Oxytrol for Women, the first over-the-counter treatment for overactive bladder in women 18 and older.
The condition affects more than 20 million American women, according to Merck, the drug's manu"...
Detrol LA Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Detrol, Detrol LA
Generic Name: tolterodine (Pronunciation: tol TER oh deen)
- What is tolterodine (Detrol LA)?
- What are the possible side effects of tolterodine (Detrol LA)?
- What is the most important information I should know about tolterodine (Detrol LA)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking tolterodine (Detrol LA)?
- How should I take tolterodine (Detrol LA)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Detrol LA)?
- What happens if I overdose (Detrol LA)?
- What should I avoid while taking tolterodine (Detrol LA)?
- What other drugs will affect tolterodine (Detrol LA)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is tolterodine (Detrol LA)?
Tolterodine reduces spasms of the bladder muscles.
Tolterodine is used to treat overactive bladder with symptoms of urinary frequency, urgency, and incontinence.
Tolterodine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
round, white, imprinted with TO
Detrol 2 mg
round, white, imprinted with DT
Detrol LA 2 mg
green, imprinted with LOGO 2
Detrol LA 4 mg
blue, imprinted with 4
What are the possible side effects of tolterodine (Detrol LA)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using tolterodine and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- chest pain, fast or uneven heart rate;
- confusion, hallucinations;
- urinating less than usual or not at all; or
- painful or difficult urination.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dry mouth, dry eyes;
- blurred vision;
- dizziness, drowsiness;
- constipation or diarrhea;
- stomach pain or upset;
- joint pain; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Detrol LA (tolterodine tartrate) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about tolterodine (Detrol LA)?
You should not take this medication if you are allergic to tolterodine or fesoterodine (Toviaz), if you have untreated or uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma, or if you have a blockage of the urinary tract, stomach, or intestines.
Before you take tolterodine, tell your doctor if you have kidney or liver disease, glaucoma, myasthenia gravis, or a personal or family history of "Long QT syndrome."
Do not crush, chew, break, or open a controlled-release capsule. Swallow it whole. Breaking or opening the pill may cause too much of the drug to be released at one time.
Tolterodine may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Drinking alcohol can increase some of the side effects of tolterodine.
Additional Detrol LA Information
- Detrol LA Drug Interactions Center: tolterodine oral
- Detrol LA Side Effects Center
- Detrol LA Overview including Precautions
- Detrol LA FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Detrol LA - User Reviews
Detrol LA User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.