Diabetes Symptoms & Signs
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Symptoms of diabetes can be similar in type 1 diabetes, typically diagnosed in children and teens, and type 2 diabetes, which most often occurs in adults. Early symptoms of any type of diabetes are related to high blood and urine glucose levels and include dehydration, hunger, increased urination, and increased thirst. Other symptoms can include weight loss or gain, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, blurred vision, and increased susceptibility to infections. Vaginal infections in women and yeast infections in both men and women are common. Other symptoms can include dry mouth, itching skin, and slow-healing wounds, cuts, or sores.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Longo, Dan, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2011.
Main Article on Diabetes Symptoms and Signs
Diabetes Symptoms and Signs
Examples of Medications for Diabetes Symptoms and Signs
- acarbose, Precose
- chlorpropamide, Diabinese
- dapagliflozin, Farxiga
- exenatide, Byetta
- glimepiride, Amaryl
- glipizide, Glipizide XL, Glucotrol, Glucotrol XL
- glipizide/metformin (Metaglip has been discontinued in the US)
- insulin glargine (Lantus)
- linagliptin, Tradjenta
- liraglutide, Victoza
- lisinopril, Zestril, Prinivil
- losartan, Cozaar
- metformin, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Fortamet, Riomet
- miglitol, Glyset
- nateglinide, Starlix
- pioglitazone, Actos
- piperacillin and tazobactam (Zosyn)
- pramlintide, Symlin
- Qsymia (phentermine and topiramate extended-release )
- repaglinide, Prandin
- rosiglitazone, Avandia
- sitagliptin; Januvia
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find tips and advances in treatment.