Diabetic Diet (cont.)
In this Article
- Diabetes diet facts*
- Eating and Diabetes
- Diabetes and Blood Glucose Levels
- Your Diabetes Medicines
- Diabetes and Exercise
- Diabetes and Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)
- Diabetes and the Food Pyramid
- How much should I eat each day?
- Meat and Meat Substitutes
- Fats and Sweets
- Diabetes and Your Meal Plan
- Diabetes and Measuring Your Food
- When You Are Sick
- How to Find More Help
- Find a local Endocrinologist in your town
Your Diabetes Medicines
What you eat and when you eat affect how your diabetes medicines work. Talk with your doctor or diabetes teacher about when to take your diabetes medicines. Fill in the names of your diabetes medicines, when to take them, and how much to take. Draw hands on the clocks to show when to take your medicines.
Print out this chart. Fill in the names of your medicines, when to take them, and how much to take. If you take your medicine with a meal, write down the name of the meal. Draw hands on the clocks to show when to take your medicines.
Diabetes and Exercise
What you eat and when also depend on how much you exercise. Physical activity is an important part of staying healthy and controlling your blood glucose. Keep these points in mind:
- Talk with your doctor about what types of exercise are safe for you.
- Make sure your shoes fit well and your socks stay clean and dry. Check your feet for redness or sores after exercising. Call your doctor if you have sores that do not heal.
- Warm up and stretch for 5 to 10 minutes before you exercise. Then cool down for several minutes after you exercise. For example, walk slowly at first, stretch, and then walk faster. Finish up by walking slowly again.
- Ask your doctor whether you should exercise if your blood glucose level is high.
- Know the signs of low blood glucose, also called hypoglycemia. Always carry food or glucose tablets to treat low blood glucose.
- Always wear your medical identification or other ID.
- Find an exercise buddy. Many people find they are more likely to do something active if a friend joins them.
Find out what women really need.