Diabetic Diet (cont.)
In this Article
- Diabetes diet facts*
- Eating and Diabetes
- Diabetes and Blood Glucose Levels
- Your Diabetes Medicines
- Diabetes and Exercise
- Diabetes and Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)
- Diabetes and the Food Pyramid
- How much should I eat each day?
- Meat and Meat Substitutes
- Fats and Sweets
- Diabetes and Your Meal Plan
- Diabetes and Measuring Your Food
- When You Are Sick
- How to Find More Help
- Find a local Endocrinologist in your town
Milk provides carbohydrate, protein, calcium, vitamins, and minerals.
How much is a serving of milk
According to the USDA, a serving is milk is 1 cup of milk, or 1 cup of yogurt.
A nutritionist that specializes in a diet for people with diabetes can help you with your meal plan.
What are healthy ways to have milk?
- Drink fat-free (skim) or low-fat (1%) milk.
- Eat low-fat or fat-free fruit yogurt sweetened with a low-calorie sweetener.
- Use low-fat plain yogurt as a substitute for sour cream.
Meat and Meat Substitutes
The meat and meat substitutes group includes meat, poultry, eggs, cheese, fish, and tofu. Eat small amounts of some of these foods each day.
Meat and meat substitutes provide protein, vitamins, and minerals.
Examples of meat and meat substitutes include:
- Peanut butter
- Canned tuna or other fish
- Cottage cheese
How much is a serving of meat or meat substitute?
Meat and meat substitutes are measured in ounces. Here is an example, *three ounces of meat (after cooking) is about the size of a deck of cards.
What are healthy ways to eat meat or meat substitutes?
- Buy cuts of beef, pork, ham, and lamb that have only a little fat on them. Trim off extra fat.
- Eat chicken or turkey without the skin.
- Cook meat or meat substitutes in low-fat ways:
- To add more flavor, use vinegars, lemon juice, soy sauce, BBQ sauce, herbs and spices.
- Cook eggs with cooking spray or a non-stick pan.
- Limit the amounts of nuts, peanut butter, and fried foods you eat. They are high in fat.
- Check food labels. Choose low-fat or fat-free cheese
Next: Fats and Sweets
Find out what women really need.