Diabetic Diet (cont.)
In this Article
- Eating and Diabetes
- Diabetes and Blood Glucose Levels
- Your Diabetes Medicines
- Diabetes and Exercise
- Diabetes and Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)
- Diabetes and the Food Pyramid
- How much should I eat each day?
- Meat and Meat Substitutes
- Fats and Sweets
- Diabetes and Your Meal Plan
- Diabetes and Measuring Your Food
- Diabetes - When You Are Sick
- How to Find More Help - Living with Diabetes
- Find a local Endocrinologist in your town
Meat and Meat Substitutes
The meat and meat substitutes group includes meat, poultry, eggs, cheese, fish, and tofu. Eat small amounts of some of these foods each day.
Meat and meat substitutes provide protein, vitamins, and minerals.
Examples of meat and meat substitutes include
|canned tuna or other fish||cottage cheese||turkey|
How much is a serving of meat or meat substitute?
Meat and meat substitutes are measured in ounces. Here are examples
*Three ounces of meat (after cooking) is about the size of a deck of cards.
Print out this chart. Then fill in the blanks with how many servings of meat and meat substitutes to have at meals and snacks.
|1. How many servings of meat or meat substitutes do you now
eat each day?
I eat _____ servings of meat or meat substitutes each day.
2. Go back to "How much
should I eat each day" to check how many ounces of meat and meat substitutes to have each day.
3. I will eat this many servings of meat or meat substitutes at
A diabetes teacher can help you with your meal plan.
What are healthy ways to eat meat or meat substitutes?
- Buy cuts of beef, pork, ham, and lamb that have only a little
fat on them. Trim off extra fat.
- Eat chicken or turkey without the skin.
- Cook meat or meat substitutes in low-fat ways:
- To add more flavor, use vinegars, lemon juice, soy sauce, BBQ sauce, herbs and spices.
- Cook eggs with cooking spray or a non-stick pan.
- Limit the amounts of nuts, peanut butter, and fried foods you eat. They are high in fat.
- Check food labels. Choose low-fat or fat-free cheese
Next: Fats and Sweets
Viewers share their comments
Find out what women really need.