"Young children have died or become seriously ill from accidental exposure to a skin patch containing fentanyl, a powerful pain reliever. As a result of this, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is issuing a Drug Safety Communication to warn pa"...
Dilaudid Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Dilaudid, Dilaudid-5, Exalgo
Generic Name: hydromorphone (oral) (Pronunciation: HYE droe MOR fone)
- What is hydromorphone (Dilaudid)?
- What are the possible side effects of hydromorphone (Dilaudid)?
- What is the most important information I should know about hydromorphone (Dilaudid)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using hydromorphone (Dilaudid)?
- How should I use hydromorphone (Dilaudid)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Dilaudid)?
- What happens if I overdose (Dilaudid)?
- What should I avoid while using hydromorphone (Dilaudid)?
- What other drugs will affect hydromorphone (Dilaudid)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is hydromorphone (Dilaudid)?
Hydromorphone is in a group of drugs called narcotic pain relievers, also called opioids. It is similar to morphine.
Hydromorphone is used to treat moderate to severe pain. The extended-release form of this medication is for around-the-clock treatment of pain.
Hydromorphone may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Dilaudid 2 mg ABB
round, orange, imprinted with 2, a
Dilaudid 2 mg
round, orange, imprinted with K, 2
Dilaudid 4 mg
round, yellow, imprinted with 4, a
Dilaudid 8 mg
triangular, white, imprinted with 8, double Abbott Logo (aa)
Hydromorphone 2 mg-ETH
round, blue, imprinted with 2, E
Hydromorphone 2 mg-MAL
round, white, imprinted with M, 2
Hydromorphone 2 mg-ROX
round, white, imprinted with 54 743, 2
Hydromorphone 4 mg-ETH
round, beige, imprinted with 4, E
Hydromorphone 4 mg-MAL
round, white, imprinted with M, 4
Hydromorphone 4 mg-ROX
round, white, imprinted with 4, 54 609
Hydromorphone 8 mg-ETH
round, white, imprinted with E, 8
Hydromorphone 8 mg-ROX
round, white, imprinted with 54 403
What are the possible side effects of hydromorphone (Dilaudid)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- shallow breathing, slow heartbeat;
- seizure (convulsions);
- cold, clammy skin;
- severe weakness or dizziness; or
- feeling light-headed, fainting.
Less serious side effects are more likely to occur, such as:
- nausea, vomiting, constipation, loss of appetite;
- warmth, tingling, or redness under your skin;
- dizziness, headache;
- dry mouth;
- sweating; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Dilaudid (hydromorphone hydrochloride) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about hydromorphone (Dilaudid)?
Hydromorphone may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Never share hydromorphone with another person, especially someone with a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a place where others cannot get to it.
Never take hydromorphone in larger amounts, or for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label. Tell your doctor if the medicine seems to stop working as well in relieving your pain.
Hydromorphone may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Do not stop using hydromorphone suddenly, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Ask your doctor how to avoid withdrawal symptoms when you stop using hydromorphone.
Additional Dilaudid Information
- Dilaudid Drug Interactions Center: hydromorphone oral
- Dilaudid Side Effects Center
- Dilaudid Overview including Precautions
- Dilaudid FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Dilaudid - User Reviews
Dilaudid User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.