"Sometimes the juice ain't worth the squeeze... especially when combining grapefruit with medicines.
While it can be part of a balanced and nutritious diet, grapefruit can have serious consequences when taken with certain medications. Cu"...
(Generic versions may still be available.)
- Clinician Information:
Dimetane Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: BroveX, BroveX CT, Dimetane, Dimetane Extentab, Dimetapp Allergy, Dimetapp Allergy Liquigel, Lodrane 12 Hour
Generic Name: brompheniramine (Pronunciation: brome feh NEER a meen)
- What is brompheniramine (Dimetane)?
- What are the possible side effects of brompheniramine?
- What is the most important information I should know about brompheniramine?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking brompheniramine?
- How should I take brompheniramine?
- What happens if I miss a dose?
- What happens if I overdose?
- What should I avoid while taking brompheniramine?
- What other drugs will affect brompheniramine?
- Where can I get more information?
What is brompheniramine (Dimetane)?
Brompheniramine is an antihistamine. Brompheniramine blocks the effects of the naturally occurring chemical histamine in the body.
Brompheniramine is used to sneezing; runny nose; itching, watery eyes; hives; rashes; itching; and other symptoms of allergies and the common cold.
Brompheniramine may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of brompheniramine?
Stop taking brompheniramine and seek emergency medical attention if you experience a rare but serious allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives).
Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take brompheniramine and talk to your doctor if you experience
- sleepiness, fatigue, or dizziness;
- dry mouth; or
- difficulty urinating or an enlarged prostate.
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Dimetane (brompheniramine, phenylpropanolamine, and codeine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about brompheniramine?
Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Brompheniramine may cause dizziness or drowsiness. If you experience dizziness or drowsiness, avoid these activities.
Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while taking brompheniramine.
Do not crush, chew, or break the extended- or timed-release forms of brompheniramine. Swallow them whole. They are specially formulated to release the medication slowly in the body.
Additional Dimetane Information
- Dimetane Drug Interactions Center: brompheniramine maleate oral
- Dimetane Side Effects Center
- Dimetane FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.