Distended Stomach (Abdominal Distention)
Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
A distended stomach is a term usually used to refer to distension or swelling of the abdomen and not of the stomach itself. When the term is used in this manner, a number of different diseases and conditions can cause abdominal distension. These conditions can be related to digestion, such as malabsorption or lactose intolerance, or to disturbances in bowel function, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or constipation. Bloating is another term that is sometimes used to refer to a swollen belly. Consumption of high-fiber foods can lead to intestinal gas and bloating. Less commonly, ovarian cysts or other types of tumors can cause the appearance of a distended abdomen.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Longo, Dan, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Main Article on Distended Stomach (Abdominal Distention)
Causes of Distended Stomach (Abdominal Distention)
In This ArticleAscites Article
- Ascites Facts
- What is ascites?
- What causes ascites?
- What are the types of ascites?
- What are the risk factors for ascites?
- What are the symptoms of ascites?
- When should I call my doctor about ascites?
- How is ascites diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for ascites?
- What are the complications for ascites?
- Can ascites be prevented?
- What is the outlook for ascites?
In This ArticleConstipation Article
- Constipation facts
- What is constipation?
- What causes constipation?
- Medications that cause constipation
- Other causes of constipation
- How is constipation evaluated (diagnosed)?
- What treatments are available for constipation?
- Home remedies and OTC medications to treat constipation
- Prescription drugs to treat constipation
- Other treatments for constipation
- What is the approach to the evaluation and treatment of constipation?
- When should I seek medical care for chronic constipation?
- What's new in the treatment of constipation?
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis, Diverticular Disease) Diverticulitis is a condition in which diverticuli in the colon rupture. The rupture results in infection in the tissues that...learn more »In This ArticleDiverticulitis (Diverticulosis, Diverticular Disease) Article
- Diverticulosis and diverticulitis facts
- What is diverticulosis?
- What is diverticulitis?
- What are diverticulitis symptoms?
- What causes diverticula and how do diverticula form?
- What are the more serious complications of diverticulitis?
- How are the diagnosis of diverticulitis and diverticulosis made?
- What is the treatment for diverticulitis and diverticulosis?
- Medical treatment of diverticulitis and diverticulosis
- Surgical treatment for diverticulitis
- What can be done to prevent diverticulitis and diverticulosis?
In This ArticleGallstones Article
- Gallstones facts
- What are gallstones?
- What causes gallstones?
- Who is at risk for gallstones?
- What are the symptoms of gallstones?
- What are the complications of gallstones?
- What is the relationship of gallbladder sludge to gallstones?
- How are gallstones diagnosed?
- What are the potential pitfalls of diagnosing gallstones?
- How are gallstones treated?
- Can gallstones be prevented?
- Can symptoms continue after gallstones are removed?
- What is new with gallstones?
In This ArticleGiardia Lamblia Article
- What is giardiasis?
- Who is at risk for giardiasis?
- What signs and symptoms does giardiasis cause?
- How is giardiasis diagnosed?
- How is giardiasis treated?
- How can giardiasis be prevented?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Triggers and Prevention Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disease that can affect the quality of those who suffer from this condition....learn more »In This ArticleIrritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Triggers and Prevention Article
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) triggers and prevention introduction
- Diet triggers for IBS constipation
- Diet triggers for IBS diarrhea
- Stress and anxiety triggers for IBS
- Drugs that can trigger IBS
- Menstrual triggers for IBS
- Other triggers for IBS
In This ArticleIrritable Bowel Syndrome in Children Article
- Irritable bowel syndrome in children facts*
- What is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)?
- What is the GI tract?
- How common is IBS in children?
- What are the symptoms of IBS in children?
- What causes IBS in children?
- How is IBS in children diagnosed?
- How is IBS in children treated?
- Eating, diet, and nutrition
- Therapies for mental health problems
In This ArticleLactose Intolerance Article
- Lactose intolerance facts
- What is lactose intolerance?
- What causes lactose intolerance?
- What are the symptoms of lactose intolerance?
- How are lactase deficiency and lactose intolerance diagnosed?
- Elimination diet
- Milk challenge
- Breath test
- Blood glucose test
- Stool acidity test
- What are the sources of lactose in the diet?
- How is lactose intolerance treated?
- What are the long-term consequences of lactose intolerance?
- What is new in lactose intolerance?
In This ArticleObesity Article
- Obesity facts
- What is obesity?
- How common is obesity?
- What are the health risks associated with obesity?
- What causes obesity?
- What are other factors associated with obesity?
- How is body fat measured?
- What about weight-for-height tables?
- What is the body mass index (BMI)?
- Does it matter where body fat is located?
- What can be done about obesity?
- What is the role of physical activity and exercise in obesity?
- What is the role of diet in the treatment of obesity?
- What is the role of medication in the treatment of obesity?
- What about herbal fen/phen?
- What about meal substitutes, artificial sweeteners, and OTC products?
- What is the role of surgery in the treatment of obesity?
- How can patients choose a safe and successful weight-loss program?
In This ArticleOvarian Cancer Article
- What is ovarian cancer?
- Epithelial ovarian cancer
- Borderline ovarian tumors
- Germ cell ovarian cancers
- Stromal ovarian cancers
- The statistics for ovarian cancer
- What are the risk factors for ovarian cancer?
- What are ovarian cancer symptoms and signs?
- How is ovarian cancer diagnosed?
- How is ovarian cancer staging determined?
- What is the treatment for ovarian cancer?
- What is the prognosis of ovarian cancer?
- Can ovarian cancer be prevented?
In This ArticleOvarian Cysts Article
- Ovarian cysts facts
- What is the ovary and what are ovarian cysts?
- What causes ovarian cysts?
- What symptoms are caused by ovarian cysts?
- How are ovarian cysts diagnosed?
- How can the physician decide if an ovarian cyst is dangerous?
- How are ovarian cysts treated?
- What are the risks of ovarian cysts during pregnancy?
In This ArticlePancreatitis Article
- Pancreatitis facts*
- What is pancreatitis?
- What are the causes of acute pancreatitis?
- What are the symptoms of acute pancreatitis?
- How is acute pancreatitis diagnosed?
- How is acute pancreatitis treated?
- What is chronic pancreatitis?
- What are the symptoms of chronic pancreatitis?
- How is chronic pancreatitis diagnosed?
- How is chronic pancreatitis treated?
- How common is pancreatitis in children?
- Hope through research
- For more information about pancreatitis
In This ArticlePregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters) Article
- Pregnancy facts*
- What is the first trimester (week 1-week 12)?
- What is the second trimester (week 13-week 28)?
- What is the third trimester (week 29-week 40)?
- How will my baby develop week by week?
- What are the changes that happen to a woman's body during her 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trimesters of pregnancy?
- Body aches
- Breast changes
- Fatigue, sleep problems
- Heartburn and indigestion
- Leg cramps
- Morning sickness
- Nasal problems
- Numb or tingling hands
- Stretch marks, skin changes
- Urinary frequency and leaking
- Varicose veins
In This ArticlePremenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Article
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) facts
- What is premenstrual syndrome?
- How common is PMS?
- When was PMS discovered?
- What causes PMS?
- What are the symptoms of PMS?
- How is the diagnosis of PMS made?
- What conditions are like PMS?
- How is PMS distinguished from other conditions?
- What treatments are available for PMS?
- What medications are used to treat PMS?
- Are there herbal or natural remedies for PMS?
- Can exercise help relieve some of the symptoms of PMS?
- Is there a "cure" for PMS?
In This ArticleUterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus) Article
- Uterine fibroids facts
- What are uterine fibroids?
- What causes uterine fibroids and how common are they?
- What are the symptoms of uterine fibroids?
- Do untreated uterine fibroids pose a risk?
- What are the usual ways of diagnosing uterine fibroids?
- What is the treatment of uterine fibroids?
- Surgery for fibroids
- Medical treatment for fibroids
- What are the risks of uterine fibroids during pregnancy?
Other Causes of Distended Stomach (Abdominal Distention)
- Bacterial Infections
- Benign Ovarian Tumors
- Bowel Obstruction
- Small Bowel Bacterial Overgrowth Syndrome
- Swallowing Air
- Viral Infections
- Weight Gain
Get the latest treatment options.