"April 9, 2012 -- Drugs that treat incontinence caused by an overactive bladder offer modest benefits to some women, and they often come with significant side effects, a new review of research shows.
The government-funded review compar"...
Ditropan XL Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Ditropan, Ditropan XL, Urotrol
Generic Name: oxybutynin (oral) (Pronunciation: OX i BUE ti nin)
- What is oxybutynin (Ditropan XL)?
- What are the possible side effects of oxybutynin (Ditropan XL)?
- What is the most important information I should know about oxybutynin (Ditropan XL)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using oxybutynin (Ditropan XL)?
- How should I use oxybutynin (Ditropan XL)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Ditropan XL)?
- What happens if I overdose (Ditropan XL)?
- What should I avoid while using oxybutynin (Ditropan XL)?
- What other drugs will affect oxybutynin (Ditropan XL)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is oxybutynin (Ditropan XL)?
Oxybutynin reduces muscle spasms of the bladder and urinary tract.
Oxybutynin is used to treat symptoms of overactive bladder, such as frequent or urgent urination, incontinence (urine leakage), and increased night-time urination.
Oxybutynin may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Ditropan 5 mg
round, blue, imprinted with 13 75, DITROPAN
Ditropan XL 10 mg
oval, pink, imprinted with 10XL
Ditropan XL 15 mg
round, gray, imprinted with 15 XL
Ditropan XL 5 mg
round, white, imprinted with ALZA 5
Oxybutynin 10 mg ER-TEV
round, pink, imprinted with G 342
Oxybutynin 15 mg ER-TEV
round, white, imprinted with G 343
Oxybutynin 5 mg ER-TEV
round, lavender, imprinted with G 341
Oxybutynin 5 mg-ROS
round, white, imprinted with 3 8, 832
Oxybutynin 5 mg-SID
round, blue, imprinted with SL 456
Oxybutynin 5 mg-WAT
round, imprinted with WATSON 779
Oxybutynin XL 10 mg-MYL
round, pink, imprinted with M 010
Oxybutynin XL 15 mg-MYL
round, white, imprinted with M 017
Oxybutynin XL 5 mg-MYL
round, blue, imprinted with M 05
What are the possible side effects of oxybutynin (Ditropan XL)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using oxybutynin and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- hot, dry skin and extreme thirst;
- severe stomach pain or constipation;
- pain or burning when you urinate; or
- urinating less than usual or not at all.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dry mouth;
- dry eyes, blurred vision;
- mild constipation;
- nausea, mild stomach pain or upset;
- dizziness, drowsiness, weakness;
- sleep problems; or
- runny nose.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Ditropan XL (oxybutynin chloride extended release tablets) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about oxybutynin (Ditropan XL)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to oxybutynin, or if you have untreated or uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma, a blockage in your digestive tract (stomach or intestines), or if you are unable to urinate.
Before using oxybutynin, tell your doctor if you have glaucoma, liver or kidney disease, an enlarged prostate, myasthenia gravis, ulcerative colitis, a blockage in your stomach or intestines, or a stomach disorder such as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or slow digestion.
Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated during exercise and in hot weather. Oxybutynin can decrease perspiration and you may be more prone to heat stroke.
Oxybutynin can cause side effects that may impair your vision or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert and able to see clearly.
Stop using this medication and call your doctor if you have serious side effects such as hot and dry skin, extreme thirst, severe stomach pain or constipation, pain or burning when you urinate, or if you stop urinating.
Additional Ditropan XL Information
- Ditropan XL Drug Interactions Center: oxybutynin chloride oral
- Ditropan XL Side Effects Center
- Ditropan XL Overview including Precautions
- Ditropan XL FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Ditropan XL - User Reviews
Ditropan XL User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.