"The US Food and Drug Administration's (FDA's) Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Devices Panel of the Medical Devices Advisory Committee voted yesterday to recommend premarket approval of the Cartiva Synthetic Cartilage Implant for use in pati"...
Dolobid Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Dolobid
Generic Name: diflunisal (Pronunciation: dye FLOO ni sal)
- What is diflunisal (Dolobid)?
- What are the possible side effects of diflunisal (Dolobid)?
- What is the most important information I should know about diflunisal (Dolobid)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking diflunisal (Dolobid)?
- How should I take diflunisal (Dolobid)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Dolobid)?
- What happens if I overdose (Dolobid)?
- What should I avoid while taking diflunisal (Dolobid)?
- What other drugs will affect diflunisal (Dolobid)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is diflunisal (Dolobid)?
Diflunisal is in a group of drugs called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). It works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.
Diflunisal is used to treat mild to moderate pain, osteoarthritis, or rheumatoid arthritis.
Diflunisal may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Diflunisal 250 mg-END
oblong, orange, imprinted with WPPh, 195
Diflunisal 500 mg-END
oblong, orange, imprinted with 196, WPPh
Diflunisal 500 mg-TEV
oval, blue, imprinted with 755/93
Dolobid 500 mg
oblong, orange, imprinted with DOLOBID, MSD697
What are the possible side effects of diflunisal (Dolobid)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking diflunisal and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- chest pain, slurred speech, problems with vision or balance, and feeling weak or short of breath;
- bloody or tarry stools, coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, confusion;
- swelling or rapid weight gain;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- skin rash, bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash; or
- the first sign of any skin rash, no matter how mild.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild nausea, stomach pain, vomiting, upset stomach;
- diarrhea, constipation, gas;
- dizziness, drowsiness, headache, tired feeling;
- sleep problems (insomnia); or
- ringing in your ears.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Dolobid (diflunisal) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about diflunisal (Dolobid)?
This medicine may cause life-threatening heart or circulation problems such as heart attack or stroke, especially if you use it long term. Do not use diflunisal just before or after heart bypass surgery (coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).
Get emergency medical help if you have chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, or problems with vision or balance.
This medicine may also cause serious effects on the stomach or intestines, including bleeding or perforation (forming of a hole). These conditions can be fatal and can occur without warning while you are taking diflunisal, especially in older adults.
Call your doctor at once if you have symptoms of stomach bleeding such as black, bloody, or tarry stools, or coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
If you drink more than three alcoholic beverages per day, do not take this medication without your doctor's advice.
Additional Dolobid Information
- Dolobid Drug Interactions Center: diflunisal oral
- Dolobid Side Effects Center
- Dolobid Overview including Precautions
- Dolobid FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Dolobid - User Reviews
Dolobid User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options