In this Article
- What other names is Dong Quai known by?
- What is Dong Quai?
- How does Dong Quai work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Dong Quai.
There is some concern that taking dong quai in large amounts for a long period of time might be harmful. Dong quai contains chemicals that are considered to be cancer-causing (carcinogens).
Do not take dong quai if:
- You are pregnant or breast-feeding. It can affect the uterus.
- You have breast cancer.
- You have hormone sensitive cancers such as uterine or ovarian cancer.
- You have hormone sensitive diseases such as endometriosis or uterine fibroids.
- You have a condition called protein S deficiency.
- You are scheduled for surgery in the next two weeks. Dong quai might increase the risk of bleeding.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.