" A: Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) is a viral respiratory illness. MERS is caused by a coronavirus called “Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus” (MERS-CoV)."...
Doryx Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Monodox, Morgidox, Ocudox Convenience Kit, Oracea, Oraxyl, Vibramycin, Vibramycin Calcium, Vibramycin Monohydrate
Generic Name: doxycycline (Pronunciation: DOX i SYE kleen)
- What is doxycycline (Doryx)?
- What are the possible side effects of doxycycline?
- What is the most important information I should know about doxycycline?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking doxycycline?
- How should I take doxycycline?
- What happens if I miss a dose?
- What happens if I overdose?
- What should I avoid while taking doxycycline?
- What other drugs will affect doxycycline?
- Where can I get more information?
What is doxycycline (Doryx)?
Doxycycline is a tetracycline antibiotic. It fights bacteria in the body.
Doxycycline is used to treat many different bacterial infections, such as urinary tract infections, acne, gonorrhea, and chlamydia, periodontitis (gum disease), and others.
Doxycycline is also used to treat blemishes, bumps, and acne-like lesions caused by rosacea. Doxycycline will not treat facial redness caused by rosacea.
Doxycycline may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Adoxa 100 mg
round, yellow, imprinted with B, 729
Adoxa 50 mg
round, yellow, imprinted with 728, B
Adoxa 75 mg
round, orange, imprinted with B, 730
Doryx 100 mg
oval, white/yellow specks, imprinted with D100
Doryx 75 mg
oval, white/yellow specks, imprinted with D75
Doxycycline 100 mg Cap-IVA
turquoise, imprinted with Z 2985
Doxycycline 100 mg Cap-VER
turquoise, capsule, imprinted with Westward, 3142
Doxycycline 100 mg Tab-IVA
round, peach, imprinted with Z 3626
Doxycycline 100 mg-EON
capsule, brown, imprinted with E810
Doxycycline 100 mg-MUT
turquoise, capsule, imprinted with AP 0814
Doxycycline 100 mg-MYL
round, yellow, imprinted with M, D23
Doxycycline 150 mg-MYL
round, orange, imprinted with M, D 24
Doxycycline 20 mg-IVA
round, white, imprinted with Logo 20, 4626
Doxycycline 50 mg Cap-IVA
turquoise/white, imprinted with Z 2984, Z2984
Doxycycline 50 mg Cap-MUT
turquoise/white, imprinted with MUTUAL 100
Doxycycline 50 mg-EON
capsule, yellow, imprinted with E805
Doxycycline 50 mg-MUT
turquoise/white, imprinted with AP 0837
Doxycycline 50 mg-MYL
round, yellow, imprinted with M, D21
Doxycycline 75 mg-MYL
round, orange, imprinted with M, D22
Doxycycline Hyclate 100 mg Tab-URL
round, peach, imprinted with MP 37
Doxycycline Hyclate 100 mg tab-WAT
round, orange, imprinted with 5553, DAN
Doxycycline Hyclate 100 mg-WAT
capsule, blue, imprinted with DAN 5440
Doxycycline Hyclate 50 mg-WAT
capsule, blue/white, imprinted with DAN 5535
Doxycycline Monohydrate 100 mg-WAT
capsule, brown/white, imprinted with 100 mg, WATSON 411
Doxycycline Monohydrate 50 mg-WAT
capsule, white, imprinted with WATSON 410, 50 mg
Monodox 100 mg
brown/yellow, imprinted with MONODOX 100, M 259
white, imprinted with TM Periostat, 20 mg
What are the possible side effects of doxycycline?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- severe headache, dizziness, blurred vision;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, swollen glands, rash or itching, joint pain, or general ill feeling;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody
- pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, fever, confusion or weakness;
- severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate;
- loss of appetite, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
- severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild nausea, mild diarrhea;
- upset stomach;
- mild skin rash or itching; or
- vaginal itching or discharge.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Doryx (doxycycline hyclate) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about doxycycline?
Do not use this medicine if you are pregnant. It could harm the unborn baby or cause permanent tooth discoloration later in life.
Doxycycline can make birth control pills less effective. Ask your doctor about using a non hormone method of birth control (such as a condom, diaphragm, spermicide) to prevent pregnancy while using doxycycline.
You should not take this medicine if you are allergic to doxycycline or to other tetracycline antibiotics such as demeclocycline (Declomycin), minocycline (Dynacin, Minocin, Solodyn, Vectrin), or tetracycline (Brodspec, Panmycin, Sumycin, Tetracap).
Before taking doxycycline, tell your doctor if you have liver disease, kidney disease, asthma, or if you are allergic to sulfites.
Drink plenty of liquids while you are taking doxycycline.
Children should not use doxycycline. Doxycycline can cause permanent yellowing or graying of the teeth in children younger than 8 years old.
Take this medication for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared. Skipping doses may also increase your risk of further infection that is resistant to antibiotics.
Additional Doryx Information
Doryx - User Reviews
Doryx User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.