"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Procysbi (cysteamine bitartrate) for the management of nephropathic cystinosis in children and adults. Procysbi was granted orphan product designation because it is intended to treat a rare dis"...
Dostinex Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Dostinex
Generic Name: cabergoline (Pronunciation: ca BER goe leen)
- What is cabergoline (Dostinex)?
- What are the possible side effects of cabergoline (Dostinex)?
- What is the most important information I should know about cabergoline (Dostinex)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking cabergoline (Dostinex)?
- How should I take cabergoline (Dostinex)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Dostinex)?
- What happens if I overdose (Dostinex)?
- What should I avoid while taking cabergoline (Dostinex)?
- What other drugs will affect cabergoline (Dostinex)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is cabergoline (Dostinex)?
Cabergoline is in a group of drugs called dopamine receptor antagonists. It works by reducing the amount of prolactin (a hormone) that is released from the pituitary gland.
Cabergoline is used to treat a hormone imbalance in which there is too much prolactin in the blood (also called hyperprolactinemia).
Cabergoline may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Cabergoline 0.5 mg-COB
oblong, white, imprinted with LOGO, C S
Cabergoline 0.5 mg-TEV
oval, white, imprinted with Logo 0.5, 5420
Dostinex 0.5 mg
oblong, white, imprinted with PU, 700
What are the possible side effects of cabergoline (Dostinex)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using cabergoline and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- cough or trouble breathing; or
- feeling light-headed, fainting.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, constipation;
- dizziness, drowsiness, nervousness;
- numbness or tingly feeling; or
- hot flashes.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Dostinex (cabergoline) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about cabergoline (Dostinex)?
Do not use this medication if you are allergic to cabergoline, or if you have uncontrolled high blood pressure, pregnancy-related high blood pressure, or if you are allergic to any type of ergot medicine such as ergotamine (Ergomar, Cafergot), dihydroergotamine (D.H.E. 45, Migranal Nasal Spray), ergonovine (Ergotrate), or methylergonovine (Methergine).
Before taking cabergoline, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have liver disease, heart disease, or a breathing disorder.
Cabergoline is usually taken twice each week for at least 6 months. Do not take this medication every day unless your doctor tells you to.
To be sure this medication is helping your condition, your blood will need to be tested on a regular basis to measure your prolactin levels. Your doctor may want to continue checking your prolactin levels for several months after you stop taking cabergoline. Do not miss any scheduled visits.
Tell your doctor if you are also taking metoclopramide (Reglan), blood pressure medications, diuretics, or any medication to treat a psychiatric disorder.
Additional Dostinex Information
- Dostinex Drug Interactions Center: cabergoline oral
- Dostinex Side Effects Center
- Dostinex Overview including Precautions
- Dostinex FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Dostinex - User Reviews
Dostinex User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.