Double Vision (cont.)
In this Article
- What causes double vision?
- What are the symptoms and signs of double vision?
- How is double vision diagnosed?
- How is double vision treated?
- Find a local Doctor in your town
How Is Double Vision Treated?
With double vision, the most important step is to identify and treat the underlying cause. In some cases, double vision can be improved by managing or correcting its cause.
- If weak eye muscles are the cause, or if a muscle has been pinched as a result of injury, surgery may help.
- Myasthenia gravis can be treated with medications.
- Graves' disease is often curable with surgery or medical therapy.
- Blood sugar in diabetes can be controlled with medicines and/or insulin.
If double vision can't be reversed, treatments can help people live with double vision. Sometimes, this requires wearing an eye patch or special contact lens to minimize the effect of double vision.
WebMD Medical Reference
Yanoff, M. Ophthalmology, 2nd edition, Mosby, 2004.
Reviewed by John P Keenan, MD, on February 27, 2010
Last Editorial Review: 2/27/2010 6:35:02 PM
Viewers share their comments
Get breaking medical news.