Drisdol Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Calcidol, Calciferol, Drisdol, Vitamin D2
Generic Name: ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) (Pronunciation: ER goe kal SIF e role)
- What is ergocalciferol (Drisdol)?
- What are the possible side effects of ergocalciferol (Drisdol)?
- What is the most important information I should know about ergocalciferol (Drisdol)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking ergocalciferol (Drisdol)?
- How should I take ergocalciferol (Drisdol)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Drisdol)?
- What happens if I overdose (Drisdol)?
- What should I avoid while taking ergocalciferol (Drisdol)?
- What other drugs will affect ergocalciferol (Drisdol)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is ergocalciferol (Drisdol)?
Ergocalciferol is vitamin D2. Vitamin D is important for the absorption of calcium from the stomach and for the functioning of calcium in the body.
Ergocalciferol is used to treat hypoparathyroidism (decreased functioning of the parathyroid glands).
Ergocalciferol is also used to treat rickets (softening of the bones caused by vitamin D deficiency) or low levels of phosphate in the blood (hypophosphatemia).
Ergocalciferol may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Ergocalciferol 50000 intl units-MAJ
green, imprinted with 0140
Vitamin D 1.25 mg-URL
green, imprinted with LOGO, 0140
What are the possible side effects of ergocalciferol (Drisdol)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- thinking problems, changes in behavior, feeling irritable;
- urinating more than usual;
- chest pain, feeling short of breath; or
- early signs of vitamin D overdose (weakness, metallic taste in your mouth, weight loss, muscle or bone pain, constipation, nausea, and vomiting).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Drisdol (ergocalciferol capsules) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects »
What is the most important information I should know about ergocalciferol (Drisdol)?
Do not use this medication if you have ever had an allergic reaction to vitamin D, or if you have high levels of calcium or vitamin D in your blood, or if you have any condition that makes it hard for your body to absorb nutrients from food (malabsorption).
Before you take this medication, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs or dyes, or if you have heart disease, coronary artery disease, kidney disease, or an electrolyte imbalance.
Do not take other vitamin or mineral supplements unless your doctor has told you to.
Avoid using calcium supplements or antacids without your doctor's advice. Use only the specific type of supplement or antacid your doctor recommends. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have used too much of this medicine. An overdose of vitamin D can cause serious or life-threatening side effects.
Overdose symptoms may include headache, weakness, drowsiness, dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, constipation, muscle or bone pain, metallic taste in the mouth, weight loss, itchy skin, changes in heart rate, loss of interest in sex, confusion, unusual thoughts or behavior, feeling unusually hot, severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, or fainting.
Additional Drisdol Information
Drisdol - User Reviews
Drisdol User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.