Dry Eye Symptoms
Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Dryness of the eyes can be a normal response to weather or medications. Dryness of the eyes can also result from temporary or chronic health conditions. The tears of the of eye come from the tear gland, called the lacrimal gland, which is located above the outer eye. Tears are composed of water, oil, and antibodies. The moisture from tears on the front of the eye, the cornea, is important to avoid damage of the cornea.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Main Article on Dry Eye
Causes of Dry Eye
In This ArticleBlepharitis Article
- What is blepharitis?
- What causes blepharitis?
- What are the symptoms and signs of blepharitis?
- How is blepharitis diagnosed?
- What are complications of blepharitis?
- What is the treatment for blepharitis?
- What is the prognosis for blepharitis?
- Blepharitis At A Glance
In This ArticleBurns (First Aid) Article
- Introduction to burns
- How are burns classified?
- What is the significance of the amount of body area burned?
- How important is the location of a burn?
- What about electrical burns?
- What about chemical burns?
- First aid for burns
In This ArticleEye Care Article
- Eye care introduction
- What is the structure of the eye?
- Which common disorders of the eye can (sometimes) be self-treated?
- What common eye conditions usually require treatment by a doctor?
- What types of OTC eye care products are there?
- What inactive ingredients are contained in OTC eye care products?
In This ArticleMenopause Article
- Menopause facts
- What is menopause?
- At what age does a woman typically reach menopause?
- What conditions can affect the timing of menopause?
- What are the symptoms of menopause?
- What are the complications and effects of menopause on chronic medical conditions?
- Are hormone levels or other blood tests helpful in detecting menopause?
- What are the treatment options for the symptoms of menopause?
- Hormone therapy for menopause
- Other medical therapies for menopause
- Alternative therapies for menopause
- Non-hormone therapies for menopause
- Lifestyle factors in managing menopause symptoms
In This ArticlePink Eye Article
- Pink eye facts
- What is "pink eye"?
- What infections cause pink eye, what are infectious pink eye symptoms, and how are they treated?
- What noninfectious conditions cause pink eye, what are noninfectious pink eye symptoms, and how are they treated?
- What are home treatments and care for pink eye?
- How can I prevent the spread of pink eye?
In This ArticleRheumatoid Arthritis Article
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) facts
- What is rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?
- What are causes and risk factors of rheumatoid arthritis?
- What are rheumatoid arthritis symptoms and signs?
- What are complications of rheumatoid disease?
- How is rheumatoid arthritis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for rheumatoid arthritis?
- "First-line" rheumatoid arthritis medications
- "Second-line" or "slow-acting" rheumatoid arthritis drugs
- What are newer treatments for rheumatoid arthritis?
- What about rheumatoid arthritis and pregnancy?
- Rheumatoid arthritis diet and other treatments
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for patients with rheumatoid arthritis?
- Can rheumatoid arthritis be prevented?
- What research is being done on rheumatoid arthritis?
- Where can people get additional information on rheumatoid arthritis?
In This ArticleSarcoidosis Article
- What is sarcoidosis?
- What are symptoms of sarcoidosis?
- Who gets sarcoidosis?
- What we know about sarcoidosis
- Some things we don't know about sarcoidosis
- How is sarcoidosis diagnosed?
- What are some signs and symptoms that suggest possible sarcoidosis?
- What do laboratory tests show?
- How is sarcoidosis treated?
- Living with sarcoidosis
- Where can a person find more information on sarcoidosis?
- Sarcoidosis At A Glance
In This ArticleSjogren's Syndrome Article
- Sjögren's syndrome facts
- What is Sjögren's syndrome?
- What causes Sjögren's syndrome?
- What are Sjögren's syndrome symptoms and signs?
- How is Sjögren's syndrome diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for Sjögren's syndrome? Will dietary changes improve Sjögren's syndrome symptoms and signs?
- Can Sjögren's syndrome be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for patients with Sjögren's syndrome?
Other Causes of Dry Eye
- Medications (Both Prescription and Nonprescription)
- Neurological Diseases (With Impaired Nerves to the Tear Gland or Eyelid Muscles)
- Tear Gland Disease (Tumors or Infiltrative Diseases, Such As Pemphigoid)
- Trauma Injury
- Weather (Particularly Warm, Dry, Windy)
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Get breaking medical news.