Dry Eyes Early Symptoms & Signs
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Dryness of the eyes can be a normal response to weather or medications. Dryness of the eyes can also result from temporary or chronic health conditions. The tears of the of eye come from the tear gland, called the lacrimal gland, which is located above the outer eye. Tears are composed of water, oil, and antibodies. The moisture from tears on the front of the eye, the cornea, is important to avoid damage of the cornea.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Main Article on Dry Eye
Causes of Dry Eye
In This ArticleBlepharitis Article
- Blepharitis facts
- What is blepharitis?
- What causes blepharitis?
- What are the symptoms and signs of blepharitis?
- How is blepharitis diagnosed?
- What are complications of blepharitis?
- What is the treatment for blepharitis? Can blepharitis be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for blepharitis?
In This ArticleBurns (First Aid) Article
- Introduction to burns
- How are burns classified?
- What is the significance of the amount of body area burned?
- How important is the location of a burn?
- What about electrical burns?
- What about chemical burns?
- First aid for burns
In This ArticleEye Care Article
- Eye care introduction
- What is the structure of the eye?
- Which common disorders of the eye can (sometimes) be self-treated?
- What common eye conditions usually require treatment by a doctor?
- What types of OTC eye care products are there?
- What inactive ingredients are contained in OTC eye care products?
In This ArticleRheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Article
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) facts
- What is rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?
- What are causes and risk factors of rheumatoid arthritis?
- What are complications of rheumatoid arthritis?
- What are rheumatoid arthritis symptoms and signs?
- What tests do physicians use to diagnose rheumatoid arthritis?
- What is the treatment for rheumatoid arthritis? What types of medications treat RA?
- "First-line" rheumatoid arthritis medications
- "Second-line" or "slow-acting" rheumatoid arthritis drugs (disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs or DMARDs)
- What are newer rheumatoid arthritis treatments?
- Rheumatoid arthritis diet, exercise, home remedies, and alternative medicine
- What about rheumatoid arthritis and pregnancy?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for patients with rheumatoid arthritis?
- Is it possible to prevent rheumatoid arthritis?
- What specialists treat rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?
- What new information about RA has come from the 2015 national meeting of the American College of Rheumatology?
- What research is being done on rheumatoid arthritis?
- Where can people get additional information on rheumatoid arthritis?
In This ArticleSarcoidosis Article
- Sarcoidosis facts
- What is sarcoidosis?
- What are symptoms of sarcoidosis?
- Who gets sarcoidosis?
- What we know about sarcoidosis
- Some things we don't know about sarcoidosis
- How is sarcoidosis diagnosed?
- What are some signs and symptoms that suggest possible sarcoidosis?
- What do laboratory tests show?
- How is sarcoidosis treated?
- Living with sarcoidosis
- Where can a person find more information on sarcoidosis?
In This ArticleSjogren's Syndrome Article
- Sjögren's syndrome facts
- What is Sjögren's syndrome?
- What causes Sjögren's syndrome?
- What are risk factors for developing Sjögren's syndrome?
- What are Sjögren's syndrome symptoms and signs?
- How is Sjögren's syndrome diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for Sjögren's syndrome? Will dietary changes improve Sjögren's syndrome symptoms and signs?
- What are complications of Sjögren's syndrome?
- Can Sjögren's syndrome be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for patients with Sjögren's syndrome?
Other Causes of Dry Eye
- Medications (Both Prescription and Nonprescription)
- Neurological Diseases (With Impaired Nerves to the Tear Gland or Eyelid Muscles)
- Tear Gland Disease (Tumors or Infiltrative Diseases, Such As Pemphigoid)
- Trauma Injury
- Weather (Particularly Warm, Dry, Windy)
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Get breaking medical news.