"A large-scale genomic analysis found that non-inherited mutations in hundreds of genes together account for about 1 in 10 cases of severe congenital heart defects. The findings bring us closer to understanding the most common type of birth defect"...
Duricef Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Duricef
Generic Name: cefadroxil (Pronunciation: SEF a DROX il)
- What is cefadroxil (Duricef)?
- What are the possible side effects of cefadroxil (Duricef)?
- What is the most important information I should know about cefadroxil (Duricef)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking cefadroxil (Duricef)?
- How should I take cefadroxil (Duricef)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Duricef)?
- What happens if I overdose (Duricef)?
- What should I avoid while taking cefadroxil (Duricef)?
- What other drugs will affect cefadroxil (Duricef)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is cefadroxil (Duricef)?
Cefadroxil is in a group of drugs called cephalosporin (SEF a low spor in) antibiotics. It works by fighting bacteria in your body.
Cefadroxil is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria.
Cefadroxil may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
Cefadroxil 1 g-TEV
oval, white, imprinted with 9 3, 4059
Cefadroxil 500 mg-BAR
red/white, imprinted with C, 582
Cefadroxil 500 mg-IVA
white, imprinted with Zenith 500 mg, 4058
Cefadroxil 500 mg-TEV
red/white, imprinted with 93 3196
What are the possible side effects of cefadroxil (Duricef)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- unusual bleeding or bruising;
- seizure (convulsions);
- pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, fever, confusion or weakness;
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- fever, swollen glands, rash or itching, joint pain, or general ill feeling;
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash; or
- increased thirst, loss of appetite, swelling, weight gain, feeling short of breath, urinating less than usual or not at all.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, mild diarrhea;
- stiff or tight muscles;
- joint pain;
- feeling restless or hyperactive;
- unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth;
- mild itching or skin rash; or
- vaginal itching or discharge.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Duricef (cefadroxil) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects »
What is the most important information I should know about cefadroxil (Duricef)?
Do not take this medication if you are allergic to cefadroxil, or to similar antibiotics, such as Ceftin, Cefzil, Keflex, Omnicef, and others.
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs (especially penicillin). Also tell your doctor if you have kidney disease or a history of intestinal problems.
Take this medication for the entire length of time prescribed by your doctor. Your symptoms may get better before the infection is completely treated. Cefadroxil will not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
Antibiotic medicines can cause diarrhea, which may be a sign of a new infection. If you have diarrhea that is watery or has blood in it, call your doctor. Do not use any medicine to stop the diarrhea unless your doctor has told you to.
Additional Duricef Information
Duricef - User Reviews
Duricef User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options.