Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach)
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach) Symptoms & Signs
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Dyspepsia is a disorder in which there may be symptoms of upper abdominal pain (above the navel), belching, nausea (with or without vomiting), abdominal bloating (the sensation of abdominal fullness without objective distention), early satiety (the sensation of fullness after a very small amount of food), and, possibly, abdominal distention (swelling). Symptoms of dyspepsia originate from the upper gastrointestinal tract, primarily the stomach and first part of the small intestine. The symptoms most often are provoked by eating, which is a time when many different gastrointestinal functions are called upon to work in concert. If function is not normal, the symptoms of dyspepsia occur.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Main Article on Dyspepsia
Causes of Dyspepsia
In This ArticleAngina Article
- What is angina?
- What causes angina?
- What are the different types of angina?
- What are the signs and symptoms of angina?
- How is angina diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for angina?
- Angioplasty and coronary artery bypass surgery
- What are other methods are used to evaluate angina?
- What is the prognosis for angina?
- Can angina be prevented?
In This ArticleChest Pain Article
- Chest pain facts
- Chest pain introduction
- What are the sources of chest pain?
- What are the causes of chest pain?
- How is chest pain diagnosed?
- What is the philosophy of the approach to chest pain diagnosis?
- What is the diagnosis and treatment for chest pain?
- Broken or bruised ribs
- Pleuritis or pleurisy
- Pulmonary embolism
- Angina and heart attack (myocardial infarction)
- Aorta and aortic dissection
- Esophagus and reflux esophagitis
- Referred abdominal pain
In This ArticleDepression Article
- Depression facts
- What is a depressive disorder?
- What are myths about depression?
- What are the types of depression, and what are depression symptoms and signs?
- Depression symptoms and signs in men
- Depression symptoms and signs in women
- Depression symptoms and signs in teenagers
- Depression symptoms and signs in children
- What are the risk factors and causes of depression?
- Postpartum depression
- How is depression diagnosed?
- What treatments are available for depression?
- What is the general approach to treating depression?
- What about sexual dysfunction related to antidepressants?
- What about discontinuing antidepressants?
- What are complications of depression?
- What is the prognosis for depression?
- How can depression be prevented?
- What about self-help and home remedies for depression?
- How can someone help a person who is depressed?
- Where can one seek help for depression?
- What is in the future for depression?
- Where can people find more information about depression?
In This ArticleDomestic Violence Article
- Domestic violence facts
- What is domestic violence? What are the types of domestic violence?
- What is the history of domestic violence?
- What are the effects of domestic abuse?
- What are the causes or risk factors for intimate partner violence?
- What are the warning signs and symptoms of intimate partner abuse?
- How is domestic violence assessed?
- How is intimate partner violence treated?
- How is intimate partner abuse legally addressed?
- What is the prognosis for domestic violence?
- How can intimate partner abuse be prevented and stopped?
- Where can people get help for domestic violence?
In This ArticleGastritis Article
- Gastritis facts
- What is gastritis?
- What causes gastritis?
- What are the symptoms of gastritis?
- How is gastritis diagnosed?
- What OTC and prescription medications treat gastritis?
- What home remedies are available to treat gastritis?
- What foods reduce stop H. pylori growth and or soothe gastritis symptoms?
- What foods aggravate gastritis symptoms?
- What are the complications of gastritis?
- What is the prognosis of gastritis?
- How is gastritis prevented?
In This ArticleGastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) Article
- Definition of gastroenteritis
- What causes gastroenteritis?
- What are the most common causes of gastroenteritis?
- What are the symptoms of gastroenteritis?
- Is gastroenteritis contagious?
- Who is at risk for gastroenteritis?
- How is gastroenteritis transmitted?
- How does food become contaminated with gastroenteritis-causing bacteria or viruses?
- How is gastroenteritis diagnosed?
- How is gastroenteritis treated?
- When should I call my doctor for gastroenteritis?
- What are complications of gastroenteritis?
- Can gastroenteritis be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for gastroenteritis?
In This ArticleGERD (Acid Reflux, Heartburn) Article
- GERD (acid reflux) facts
- What is GERD or acid reflux?
- What causes GERD (acid reflux)?
- What are the symptoms of uncomplicated GERD?
- What are the complications of GERD?
- How is GERD or acid reflux diagnosed and evaluated?
- Symptoms and procedures to diagnose GERD
- GERD (acid reflux) tests
- How is GERD (acid reflux) treated?
- Lifestyle changes and GERD (acid reflux) diet
- GERD (acid reflux) medications
- GERD surgery
- What is a reasonable approach to the management of GERD (acid reflux)?
- What are the unresolved issues in GERD (acid reflux)?
In This ArticleIntestinal Gas (Belching, Bloating, Flatulence) Article
- Intestinal gas facts
- What causes belching (burping)?
- What causes bloating?
- What causes flatulence (gas)?
- What are the causes of intermittent abdominal bloating/distention?
- How are belching, bloating/distention, and flatulence evaluated?
- What is the treatment for intestinal gas?
- What's new in intestinal gas?
In This ArticleLactose Intolerance Article
- Lactose intolerance facts
- What is lactose intolerance?
- What causes lactose intolerance?
- What are the symptoms of lactose intolerance?
- How are lactase deficiency and lactose intolerance diagnosed?
- Elimination diet
- Milk challenge
- Breath test
- Blood glucose test
- Stool acidity test
- What are the sources of lactose in the diet?
- How is lactose intolerance treated?
- What are the long-term consequences of lactose intolerance?
- What is new in lactose intolerance?
In This ArticleMotion Sickness Article
- What is motion sickness?
- Who is at risk for motion sickness?
- What are causes of motion sickness?
- What are the signs and symptoms of motion sickness?
- When should I call a doctor for motion sickness?
- How is motion sickness diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for motion sickness?
- Home remedies for motion sickness
- OTC and prescription medication for motion sickness
- Can motion sickness be prevented?
In This ArticleOvarian Cysts Article
- Ovarian cysts facts
- What is the ovary and what are ovarian cysts?
- What causes ovarian cysts?
- What symptoms are caused by ovarian cysts?
- How are ovarian cysts diagnosed?
- How can the physician decide if an ovarian cyst is dangerous?
- How are ovarian cysts treated?
- What are the risks of ovarian cysts during pregnancy?
In This ArticlePeptic Ulcer Article
- Peptic ulcer facts
- What is a peptic ulcer?
- What causes of peptic ulcers?
- What are symptoms of peptic ulcer?
- How are peptic ulcers diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for peptic ulcers?
- What are the complications of peptic ulcer?
- Peptic ulcer summary
In This ArticleSeparation Anxiety Article
- Separation anxiety disorder facts
- What is separation anxiety disorder?
- What are separation anxiety disorder symptoms and signs?
- What are causes and risk factors for separation anxiety disorder?
- How is separation anxiety disorder diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for separation anxiety disorder?
- What happens if separation anxiety disorder is left untreated?
- Is it possible to prevent separation anxiety disorder?
- Where can I find more information on separation anxiety disorder?
In This ArticleStomach Cancer Article
- Stomach cancer facts*
- What is the stomach?
- What is cancer, and how does stomach cancer spread?
- What are risk factors and causes of stomach cancer?
- What are symptoms of stomach cancer?
- How is stomach cancer diagnosed?
- How is staging determined?
- What is the treatment for stomach cancer?
- Radiation therapy
- How do I go about getting a second opinion?
- What are some of the nutritional concerns of stomach cancer patients?
- What are treatment options for cancer that blocks the digestive tract?
- What follow-up care is necessary for stomach cancer patients? What about complementary and alternative medicine?
- What support is there for cancer patients?
- How can I take part in clinical trials for stomach cancer?
In This ArticleStress Article
- Stress facts
- What is stress?
- A brief history of stress
- What are the signs and symptoms of poorly managed stress?
- Who is most vulnerable to stress?
- Teen stress
- What is the healthy response to stress?
- How does the response to stress work?
- What is the role of the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis (grouping) in stress?
- What is the role of the locus coeruleus in stress?
- How do the connections in the brain work in stress?
- What do we know about using (activating) and overusing our internal systems that respond to stress?
- What are the effects of stress on medical and psychological conditions?
- Conclusions about the effects of stress
- What can people do for stress management?
- What's in the future for stress?
Other Causes of Dyspepsia
- Hormonal Imbalance (Diabetes, Thyroid, Hyperparathyroid)
- Medications (Both Prescription and Non-Prescription)
- Nervous System Disorders (Brain, Spinal Cord, and Others)
Examples of Medications for Dyspepsia
- amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
- desipramine, Norpramin
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- hyoscyamine, atropine, scopolamine and phenobarbital, Donnatal
- lansoprazole (Heartburn Relief 24 Hour, Heartburn Treatment 24 Hour, Prevacid 24)
- metoclopramide, Reglan, Metozolv ODT, (Reglan ODT, Octamide, and Maxolon
- omeprazole, omeprazole/sodium bicarbonate, Prilosec, Zegerid, Prilosec OTC, Zegerid OTC
- pantoprazole, Protonix
- paroxetine, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva
- rabeprazole, Aciphex
- sertraline, Zoloft
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Get the latest treatment options.