Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Pain in the ear can occur because of conditions within the ear, the ear canal, or affecting the visible portion of the ear (the pinna). Acute middle ear infection, medically called acute otitis media, is inflammation of the middle ear and is the most frequent diagnosis in sick children in the U.S. The eustachian tube is shorter in children than adults which allows easy entry of bacteria and viruses into the middle ear, resulting in acute otitis media.
Infection of the ear canal (otitis externa) is also called swimmer's ear. Otitis externa is typically caused by bacterial infection.
Earache can also be caused by pain and inflammation of the outer portion of the ear (the pinna).
A child with a draining ear should not fly (or swim).
Also spelled "ear ache"
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Causes of Earache
In This ArticleChronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID) Article
- Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) facts
- What is chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS or SEID)?
- What causes chronic fatigue syndrome or systemic exertional intolerance disease?
- What are risk factors for CFS/SEID?
- What are systemic exertion intolerance disease or chronic fatigue syndrome symptoms and signs?
- What are CFS/SEID symptoms in men?
- What are SEID/CFS symptoms in women?
- How is chronic fatigue syndrome (or systemic exertion intolerance disease) diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for CFS/SEID?
- Is there a cure for CFS/SEID?
- What is the prognosis (outcome) for CFS/SEID?
- Is it possible to prevent CFS/SEID?
- Where can people find additional information about CFS/SEID?
In This ArticleEar Infection (Otitis Media) Article
- Ear infection or inflammation (otitis media) facts
- What is otitis media (middle ear infection or inflammation)?
- What are the symptoms of acute middle ear infection?
- How common is acute middle ear infection or inflammation?
- "Are ear infections contagious?
- Why do young children tend to have ear infections?
- How does the Eustachian tube change as a child gets older?
- What microorganisms cause middle ear infection or inflammation?
- What is the relationship between bottlefeeding and middle ear infection or inflammation?
- What are the risk factors for acute middle ear infection or inflammation?
- How is acute otitis media diagnosed?
- How is acute middle ear infection or inflammation treated?
- Are there any home remedies for acute ear infection (otitis media)?
- What causes chronic middle ear infection or inflammation?
- What happens to the eardrum in chronic middle ear infection or inflammation?
- What happens to the eardrum if a hole develops in the eardrum?
- How is chronic middle ear infection or inflammation treated?
- What are the goals of chronic otitis media surgery?
- What is serious middle ear infection or inflammation?
- What limitations are there on a child with middle ear infection or inflammation?
- Can otitis media (middle ear infection or inflammation) be prevented?
In This ArticleEar Wax Article
- What is ear wax?
- What does ear wax look like?
- Unpleasant symptoms related to excessive ear wax
- When should ear wax be removed?
- How should ear wax be removed?
- Is it OK to use Q-tips?
In This ArticleLarynx Cancer (Throat Cancer) Article
- Throat cancer (larynx cancer) facts*
- What is the larynx?
- What is cancer?
- What are risk factors for larynx cancer?
- What are larynx cancer symptoms and signs?
- How is larynx cancer diagnosed?
- How is staging for throat cancer determined?
- What are treatment options for larynx cancer?
- Radiation Therapy
- Targeted Therapy
- How does a person get a second opinion after a throat cancer diagnosis?
- What can people with throat cancer eat?
- What is involved in rehabilitation after surgery for larynx cancer?
- What follow-up care is needed after treatment for throat cancer?
- What support is available for patients with larynx cancer?
- What research is being done on throat cancer? What about clinical trials?
In This ArticleMeasles Article
- Measles facts
- What is measles? What does measles look like?
- What is rubeola? What is rubella? What are other names for measles?
- What is the history of measles?
- What causes measles? How is measles spread?
- How does one become immune to measles?
- Who is at risk for getting measles?
- Is measles deadly?
- What are measles symptoms and signs?
- What is the danger of getting measles while pregnant?
- What is the incubation period for measles?
- What complications are seen with measles?
- What is atypical measles?
- What is modified measles?
- How is the diagnosis of measles made?
- What should someone do if he or she has been exposed to measles?
- If it is not measles, what else could it be?
- Is there any treatment for measles after symptoms and signs develop?
- What is the prognosis for measles?
- Is it possible to prevent measles with a vaccine? How effective is the measles vaccine?
- Why should people get vaccinated against measles?
- Is there any truth to the fear of getting autism from the MMR or MMRV?
- Who should not receive measles vaccinations?
- Do people need to be revaccinated against measles if they are traveling to Europe?
- What adverse reactions or side effects can occur with the measles vaccination?
- If a child has an egg allergy, can they still receive the measles vaccine?
- Who should be revaccinated against measles?
- What is herd immunity? Why should people care if others choose not to be vaccinated?
- Can the measles virus be used to cure cancer?
- Where can I find more information about measles?
In This ArticlePregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters) Article
- Pregnancy facts*
- What is the first trimester (week 1-week 12)?
- What is the second trimester (week 13-week 28)?
- What is the third trimester (week 29-week 40)?
- How will my baby develop week by week?
- What are the changes that happen to a woman's body during the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trimester of her pregnancy?
- Body aches
- Breast changes
- Fatigue, sleep problems
- Heartburn and indigestion
- Hemorrhoids during pregnancy
- Leg cramps
- Morning sickness
- Nasal problems
- Numb or tingling hands
- Stretch marks, skin changes
- Urinary frequency and leaking
- Varicose veins
In This ArticleRamsay Hunt Syndrome Article
- What is Ramsay Hunt syndrome? What causes it?
- What are the symptoms of Ramsay Hunt syndrome?
- How is Ramsay Hunt syndrome diagnosed?
- Is Ramsay Hunt syndrome contagious?
- How does Ramsay Hunt syndrome compare with Bell's palsy?
- How is Ramsay Hunt syndrome treated or prevented?
- What is the outlook (prognosis) for patients with Ramsay Hunt syndrome?
- Where can I find more information about Ramsay Hunt syndrome?
In This ArticleRelapsing Polychondritis Article
- Relapsing polychondritis facts
- What is relapsing polychondritis?
- What causes relapsing polychondritis?
- What are symptoms and signs of relapsing polychondritis?
- How is relapsing polychondritis diagnosed?
- Can relapsing polychondritis be associated with other diseases?
- What medications are used to treat relapsing polychondritis?
- What is the long-term outlook (prognosis) for patients with relapsing polychondritis?
In This ArticleSwimmer's Ear Article
- Swimmer's ear facts
- What is "swimmer's ear" or acute external otitis?
- What are symptoms of swimmer's ear?
- What is chronic swimmer's ear?
- What home remedies treatments help cure swimmer's ear?
- How can swimmer's ear be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for swimmer's ear?
- What about swimmer's ear in children?
- Why do ears itch?
- What should I do if I get a foreign object or insect in my ear?
In This ArticleToothache Article
- What is a toothache?
- What causes a toothache?
- What are toothache symptoms and signs?
- How is a toothache diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for a toothache?
- Are home remedies effective for a toothache?
- How is a toothache treated during pregnancy?
- What is the prognosis for a toothache?
- Is it possible to prevent a toothache?
Other Causes of Earache
- Trauma Injury
Examples of Medications for Earache
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.