"What is high blood pressure (hypertension)?
High blood pressure, also known as hypertension, affects nearly a third of all Americans. With hypertension, too much force is exerted on the arteries as blood is pumped through. This results "...
Edecrin Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Edecrin
Generic Name: ethacrynic acid (Pronunciation: eth a KRIN ik AS id)
- What is ethacrynic acid (Edecrin)?
- What are the possible side effects of ethacrynic acid
- What is the most important information I should know about ethacrynic acid (Edecrin)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking ethacrynic acid (Edecrin)?
- How should I take ethacrynic acid (Edecrin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Edecrin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Edecrin)?
- What should I avoid while taking ethacrynic acid (Edecrin)?
- What other drugs will affect ethacrynic acid (Edecrin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is ethacrynic acid (Edecrin)?
Ethacrynic acid is a loop diuretic (water pill) that prevents your body from absorbing too much salt, allowing the salt to instead be passed in your urine.
Ethacrynic acid treats fluid retention (edema) in people with congestive heart failure, liver disease, or a kidney disorder such as nephrotic syndrome.
Ethacrynic acid may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Edecrin 50 mg
oblong, green, imprinted with EDECRIN, MSD 90
What are the possible side effects of ethacrynic acid
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using ethacrynic acid and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- dry mouth, thirst, nausea, vomiting;
- feeling weak, drowsy, restless, or light-headed;
- fast or uneven heartbeat;
- muscle pain or weakness;
- easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- severe or watery diarrhea;
- blood in your urine or stools;
- coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- rapid weight loss;
- hearing loss, feeling of fullness in the ear; or
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild diarrhea, stomach pain, loss of appetite;
- trouble swallowing;
- headache; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Edecrin (ethacrynic acid) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about ethacrynic acid (Edecrin)?
Do not use this medication if you are unable to urinate, or if you have recently had severe watery diarrhea.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or gout.
To be sure this medication is not causing harmful effects, your blood and your weight will need to be checked on a regular basis. Your kidney or liver function may also need to be tested. It is important that you not miss any scheduled visits to your doctor.
Ethacrynic acid will make you urinate more often and you may get dehydrated easily. Follow your doctor's instructions about using potassium supplements or getting enough salt and potassium in your diet.
Avoid becoming dehydrated. Follow your doctor's instructions about the type and amount of liquids you should drink while you are taking ethacrynic acid.
There are many other medicines that can interact with ethacrynic acid. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor. Keep a list with you of all the medicines you use and show this list to any doctor or other healthcare provider who treats you.
Additional Edecrin Information
- Edecrin Drug Interactions Center: ethacrynic acid oral
- Edecrin Side Effects Center
- Edecrin Overview including Precautions
- Edecrin FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Edecrin - User Reviews
Edecrin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get tips on handling your hypertension.