"The number of pregnant and breastfeeding women in Malawi with HIV who started life-saving antiretroviral treatment increased by more than 700 percent in one year, according to a study in CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. The "...
EDURANT® , in combination with other antiretroviral agents, is indicated for the treatment of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) infection in antiretroviral treatment-na´ve adult patients with HIV-1 RNA less than or equal to 100,000 copies/mL at the start of therapy.
This indication is based on safety and efficacy analyses through 96 weeks from 2 randomized, double-blind, active controlled, Phase 3 trials in treatment-na´ve subjects [see Clinical Studies].
The following points should be considered when initiating therapy with EDURANT:
- More EDURANT treated subjects with HIV-1 RNA greater than 100,000 copies/mL at the start of therapy experienced virologic failure (HIV-1 RNA ≥ 50 copies/mL) compared to EDURANT treated subjects with HIV-1 RNA less than or equal to 100,000 copies/mL [see Clinical Studies].
- Regardless of HIV-1 RNA at the start of therapy, more EDURANT treated subjects with CD4+ cell count less than 200 cells/mm³ experienced virologic failure compared to EDURANT treated subjects with CD4+ cell count greater than or equal to 200 cells/mm³ [see Clinical Studies].
- The observed virologic failure rate in EDURANT treated subjects conferred a higher rate of overall treatment resistance and cross-resistance to the NNRTI class compared to efavirenz [see Microbiology].
- More subjects treated with EDURANT developed tenofovir and lamivudine/emtricitabine associated resistance compared to efavirenz [see Microbiology].
EDURANT is not recommended for patients less than 18 years of age [see Use In Specific Populations].
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
The recommended dose of EDURANT is one 25 mg tablet once daily taken orally with a meal [see CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY].
Dosage Forms And Strengths
25 mg white to off-white, film-coated, round, biconvex, tablet of 6.4 mm, debossed with “TMC” on one side and “25” on the other side. Each tablet contains 27.5 mg of rilpivirine hydrochloride, which is equivalent to 25 mg of rilpivirine.
Storage And Handling
EDURANT (rilpivirine) tablets are supplied as white to off-white, film-coated, round, biconvex, 6.4 mm tablets. Each tablet contains 27.5 mg of rilpivirine hydrochloride, which is equivalent to 25 mg of rilpivirine. Each tablet is debossed with “TMC” on one side and “25” on the other side.
EDURANT tablets are packaged in bottles in the following configuration: 25 mg tablets-bottles of 30 (NDC 59676-278-01).
Store EDURANT tablets in the original bottle in order to protect from light. Store EDURANT tablets at 25°C (77°F); with excursions permitted to 15°-30°C (59°-86°F) [see USP controlled room temperature].
Product of Ireland Manufactured by: Janssen-Cilag SpA, Latina, Italy Manufactured for: Janssen Therapeutics, Division of Janssen Products, LP, Titusville NJ 08560. Issued June 2013
Last reviewed on RxList: 7/11/2013
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Edurant Information
- Edurant Drug Interactions Center: rilpivirine oral
- Edurant Side Effects Center
- Edurant FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.