" Allergy medications overview
The arsenal of allergy drugs includes dozens of medications that relieve allergy symptoms when confronted with a trigger known as an allergen. That trigger could be something from a plant, such as polle"...
Elidel Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Elidel
Generic Name: pimecrolimus topical (Pronunciation: pi MEK roe LYE mus TOP ik al)
- What is pimecrolimus topical (Elidel)?
- What are the possible side effects of pimecrolimus topical (Elidel)?
- What is the most important information I should know about pimecrolimus topical (Elidel)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using pimecrolimus topical (Elidel)?
- How should I use pimecrolimus topical (Elidel)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Elidel)?
- What happens if I overdose (Elidel)?
- What should I avoid while using pimecrolimus topical (Elidel)?
- What other drugs will affect pimecrolimus topical (Elidel)?
- pimecrolimusWhere can I get more information?
What is pimecrolimus topical (Elidel)?
Pimecrolimus is an immunosuppressant. It works by decreasing your body's immune system to help slow down the growth of atopic dermatitis (eczema) on your skin.
Pimecrolimus topical (for the skin) is used to treat severe atopic dermatitis (eczema) when other medications have not worked well.
Pimecrolimus may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of pimecrolimus topical (Elidel)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using pimecrolimus and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- severe burning of treated skin;
- new symptoms of viral skin infection (warts, unusual rash or skin lesions, blistering or oozing, burning pain or tingling);
- worsened skin symptoms;
- swollen glands, sore throat; or
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild burning or warm feeling of treated skin;
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing;
- swollen hair follicles;
- acne or warts;
- burning, stinging, tingling, or soreness of treated skin (especially during the first few days of treatment);
- upset stomach;
- muscle pain; or
- feeling more sensitive to hot or cold temperatures.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Elidel (pimecrolimus cream) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about pimecrolimus topical (Elidel)?
You should not use pimecrolimus if you are allergic to it, or if you have a bacterial or viral skin infection (including herpes or chicken pox).
Before using pimecrolimus, tell your doctor if you have skin cancer or any type of skin infection, Netherton's syndrome, a weak immune system, kidney disease, or swelling, redness, or irritation over large skin areas.
Avoid applying pimecrolimus to an area that may be affected with skin cancer.
Pimecrolimus can lower the blood cells that help your body fight infections. This can make it easier for you to get sick from a virus. Tell your doctor if you have been exposed to any illness, or if you have any signs of infection such as fever, chills, sore throat, or flu symptoms.
Talk with your doctor if your symptoms do not improve after 6 weeks of treatment.
Additional Elidel Information
- Elidel Drug Interactions Center: pimecrolimus top
- Elidel Side Effects Center
- Elidel Overview including Precautions
- Elidel FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Elidel - User Reviews
Elidel User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.