"The fecal immunochemical test (FIT) is highly effective for annual colorectal cancer screening programs for average-risk patients, according to results of a study published online January 26 in the Annals of Internal Medicine.
Elitek Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Elitek
Generic Name: rasburicase (Pronunciation: ras BUR ih kase)
- What is rasburicase (Elitek)?
- What are the possible side effects of rasburicase (Elitek)?
- What is the most important information I should know about rasburicase (Elitek)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before receiving rasburicase (Elitek)?
- How is rasburicase given (Elitek)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Elitek)?
- What happens if I overdose (Elitek)?
- What should I avoid while receiving rasburicase (Elitek)?
- What other drugs will affect rasburicase (Elitek)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is rasburicase (Elitek)?
Rasburicase helps keep uric acid levels in the body from getting too high. Uric acid levels can increase during cancer treatments when tumor cells break down.
Rasburicase is used to manage uric acid levels in adults and children receiving cancer treatment for leukemia, lymphoma, and certain tumors.
Rasburicase may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of rasburicase (Elitek)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; chest pain or tightness, difficult breathing; fainting; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Tell your caregivers at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- change in your mental state;
- headache, tired feeling, dizziness;
- blue colored lips;
- feeling short of breath;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- fast, slow, or uneven heart rate;
- seizure (convulsions);
- white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips; or
- pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, fever, confusion or weakness.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain;
- diarrhea, constipation;
- fever, sore throat;
- mild rash; or
- swelling in your hands or feet.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Elitek (rasburicase) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about rasburicase (Elitek)?
You should not receive rasburicase if you are allergic to it, or if you have an enzyme deficiency called glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G6PD).
If you are of African or Mediterranean descent, you may need a rasburicase dose adjustment or special tests.
Tell your caregivers at once if you have a serious side effect such as a change in your mental state, dizziness or tired feeling, blue colored lips, feeling light-headed or short of breath, irregular heart rate, seizure, mouth sores, pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, fever, confusion, or weakness.
Additional Elitek Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.