"Prostate cancer often has no early symptoms and usually grows very slowly. More than half of prostate cancers remain localized to the prostate and don’t become life-threatening. They can be treated with surgery or radiation, and in some "...
Emcyt Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is estramustine (Emcyt)?
- What are the possible side effects of estramustine (Emcyt)?
- What is the most important information I should know about estramustine (Emcyt)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking estramustine (Emcyt)?
- How should I take estramustine (Emcyt)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Emcyt)?
- What happens if I overdose (Emcyt)?
- What should I avoid while taking estramustine (Emcyt)?
- What other drugs will affect estramustine (Emcyt)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking estramustine (Emcyt)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to estramustine, or if you have:
- a blood clot;
- swelling of a vein caused by a blood clot; or
- if you have ever had an allergic reaction to estradiol or nitrogen mustard.
If you have any of these other conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take estramustine:
- a history of blood clot, stroke, or heart attack;
- high blood pressure (hypertension);
- heart disease or coronary artery disease (atherosclerosis);
- congestive heart failure;
- migraine headaches;
- epilepsy or other seizure disorder;
- liver disease;
- kidney disease; or
- a metabolic bone disease (such as Paget's disease).
If a man fathers a child while taking estramustine, the baby may have birth defects. Use a condom to prevent pregnancy during your treatment. Ask your doctor how long you should continue using condoms after you stop taking estramustine.
How should I take estramustine (Emcyt)?
Take this medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take it in larger amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Take estramustine on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal.
Take this medication with water, not with milk or other dairy products.
To be sure this medication is not causing harmful effects, your blood will need to be tested on a regular basis. Your blood pressure may also need to be checked. Do not miss any scheduled appointments.
This medication can cause you to have unusual results with certain medical tests. Tell any doctor who treats you that you are using estramustine.
Store estramustine capsules in the refrigerator and do not allow it to freeze.
Additional Emcyt Information
- Emcyt Drug Interactions Center: estramustine oral
- Emcyt Side Effects Center
- Emcyt Overview including Precautions
- Emcyt FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Emcyt - User Reviews
Emcyt User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.