"Prostate cancer often has no early symptoms and usually grows very slowly. More than half of prostate cancers remain localized to the prostate and don’t become life-threatening. They can be treated with surgery or radiation, and in some "...
Emcyt Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Emcyt
Generic Name: estramustine (Pronunciation: ES tra MUS teen)
- What is estramustine (Emcyt)?
- What are the possible side effects of estramustine (Emcyt)?
- What is the most important information I should know about estramustine (Emcyt)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking estramustine (Emcyt)?
- How should I take estramustine (Emcyt)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Emcyt)?
- What happens if I overdose (Emcyt)?
- What should I avoid while taking estramustine (Emcyt)?
- What other drugs will affect estramustine (Emcyt)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is estramustine (Emcyt)?
Estramustine is a cancer medication that interferes with the growth of cancer cells and slows their growth and spread in the body.
Estramustine is used to treat metastatic or progressive prostate cancer.
Estramustine may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of estramustine (Emcyt)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using estramustine and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling;
- sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;
- sudden headache, confusion, problems with vision, speech, or balance;
- chest pain, sudden cough, wheezing, rapid breathing, fast heart rate;
- pain or swelling in one or both legs;
- feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;
- swelling, rapid weight gain; or
- easy bruising.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, loss of appetite, diarrhea, upset stomach;
- feeling weak or tired;
- breast swelling or tenderness; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Emcyt (estramustine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about estramustine (Emcyt)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to estramustine, or if you have a blood clot, swelling of a vein caused by a blood clot, or if you have ever had an allergic reaction to estradiol or nitrogen mustard.
Before taking estramustine, tell your doctor if you have a history of stroke or heart attack, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, migraine headaches, seizures, liver or kidney disease, or Paget's disease.
Take estramustine on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal.
Do not take this medication with milk, milk products, or calcium-rich foods such as ice cream, yogurt, broccoli, and others. Also avoid using antacids or vitamin/mineral supplements that contain calcium. Calcium can make it harder for your body to absorb estramustine, which could make it less effective.
If a man fathers a child while taking estramustine, the baby may have birth defects. Use a condom to prevent pregnancy during your treatment. Ask your doctor how long you should continue using condoms after you stop taking estramustine.
Additional Emcyt Information
- Emcyt Drug Interactions Center: estramustine oral
- Emcyt Side Effects Center
- Emcyt Overview including Precautions
- Emcyt FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Emcyt - User Reviews
Emcyt User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.