"Patients with a type of cancer known as primary mediastinal B-cell lymphoma who received infusions of chemotherapy, but who did not have radiation therapy to an area of the thorax known as the mediastinum, had excellent outcomes, according to "...
Emend Capsules Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Emend, Emend 2-Day, Emend 3-Day
Generic Name: aprepitant (Pronunciation: a PREP i tant)
- What is aprepitant (Emend Capsules)?
- What are the possible side effects of aprepitant (Emend Capsules)?
- What is the most important information I should know about aprepitant (Emend Capsules)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking aprepitant (Emend Capsules)?
- How should I take aprepitant (Emend Capsules)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Emend Capsules)?
- What happens if I overdose (Emend Capsules)?
- What should I avoid while taking aprepitant (Emend Capsules)?
- What other drugs will affect aprepitant (Emend Capsules)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is aprepitant (Emend Capsules)?
Aprepitant blocks the actions of chemicals in the body that trigger nausea and vomiting.
Aprepitant is used together with other medications to prevent nausea and vomiting that may be caused by surgery or cancer chemotherapy.
Aprepitant is given ahead of time and will not treat nausea or vomiting that you already have.
Aprepitant may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Emend 125 mg
capsule, pink/white, imprinted with 462 125 mg
Emend 80 mg
capsule, white, imprinted with 461 80 mg
What are the possible side effects of aprepitant (Emend Capsules)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- feeling like you might pass out;
- feeling very thirsty or hot, being unable to urinate, heavy sweating, or hot and dry skin; or
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, sores in your mouth and throat.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting, heartburn, stomach pain;
- diarrhea or constipation;
- loss of appetite;
- hair loss;
- tired feeling;
- mild skin rash;
- ringing in your ears; or
- sleep problems (insomnia).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Emend Capsules (aprepitant capsules) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about aprepitant (Emend Capsules)?
Do not take aprepitant if you are taking any of the following drugs: cisapride (Propulsid) or pimozide (Orap). These drugs may cause life-threatening interactions when taken together with aprepitant.
If you have liver disease, you may need an aprepitant dose adjustment or special tests.
Aprepitant can make birth control pills less effective, resulting in pregnancy. This effect can last for up to 28 days after your last dose of this medication. Ask your doctor about using a non-hormone method of birth control (such as a condom, diaphragm, spermicide) to prevent pregnancy while taking aprepitant and for at least 1 month after your treatment ends.
There are many other drugs that can interact with aprepitant. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor. Keep a list of all your medicines and show it to any healthcare provider who treats you.
Additional Emend Capsules Information
Emend Capsules - User Reviews
Emend Capsules User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.