- Clinician Information:
Entereg Capsules Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is alvimopan (Entereg Capsules)?
- What are the possible side effects of alvimopan (Entereg Capsules)?
- What is the most important information I should know about alvimopan (Entereg Capsules)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before I receive alvimopan (Entereg Capsules)?
- How is alvimopan given (Entereg Capsules)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Entereg Capsules)?
- What happens if I overdose (Entereg Capsules)?
- What should I avoid while receiving alvimopan (Entereg Capsules)?
- What other drugs will affect alvimopan (Entereg Capsules)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my health care provider before I receive alvimopan (Entereg Capsules)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to alvimopan, or if you have used a narcotic medication within the past 7 days, such as:
- fentanyl (Actiq, Duragesic);
- hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin);
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid, Palladone);
- levorphanol (Levo-Dromoran);
- meperidine (Demerol);
- methadone (Methadose, Diskets, Dolophine);
- morphine (Kadian, MS Contin, Oramorph, and others);
- nalbuphine (Nubain);
- oxycodone (OxyContin);
- oxymorphone (Numorphan, Opana); or
- pentazocine (Talwin).
If you have certain conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely use this medication. Before using alvimopan, tell your doctor if you have:
- liver disease; or
- kidney disease.
FDA pregnancy category B. Alvimopan is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment.
It is not known whether alvimopan passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How is alvimopan given (Entereg Capsules)?
Alvimopan is given only in a hospital for a short period of time.
You will receive your first dose of alvimopan up to 5 hours before your surgery. You will then be given additional doses two times per day for up to 7 days.
Additional Entereg Capsules Information
- Entereg Capsules Drug Interactions Center: alvimopan oral
- Entereg Capsules Side Effects Center
- Entereg Capsules FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.