"An experimental oral lymphocyte trafficking agent, ozanimod (Receptos), showed modest activity against ulcerative colitis (UC) in a small, early-stage clinical trial.
In the double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 2 trial in adults wit"...
Adult Ulcerative Colitis
ENTYVIO (vedolizumab) is indicated for:
- inducing and maintaining clinical response,
- inducing and maintaining clinical remission,
- improving the endoscopic appearance of the mucosa, and
- achieving corticosteroid-free remission in adult patients with moderately to severely active ulcerative colitis who have had an inadequate response with, lost response to, or were intolerant to a tumor necrosis factor (TNF) blocker or immunomodulator; or had an inadequate response with, were intolerant to, or demonstrated dependence on corticosteroids.
Adult Crohn's Disease
ENTYVIO (vedolizumab) is indicated for:
- achieving clinical response,
- achieving clinical remission, and
- achieving corticosteroid-free remission in adult patients with moderately to severely active Crohn's disease who have had an inadequate response with, lost response to, or were intolerant to a tumor necrosis factor (TNF) blocker or immunomodulator; or had an inadequate response with, were intolerant to, or demonstrated dependence on corticosteroids.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
Important Administration Instructions
Administer ENTYVIO as an intravenous infusion over 30 minutes. Do not administer as an intravenous push or bolus. ENTYVIO lyophilized powder must be reconstituted with Sterile Water for injection and diluted in 250 mL of sterile 0.9% Sodium Chloride injection prior to administration [see Reconstitution and Dilution Instructions]. After the infusion is complete, flush with 30 mL of sterile 0.9% Sodium Chloride injection.
ENTYVIO should be administered by a healthcare professional prepared to manage hypersensitivity reactions including anaphylaxis, if they occur. Appropriate monitoring and medical support measures should be available for immediate use. Observe patients during infusion and until the infusion is complete.
Prior To Administration Of ENTYVIO
Prior to initiating treatment with ENTYVIO, all patients should be brought up to date with all immunizations according to current immunization guidelines.
Dosage In Adults With Ulcerative Colitis Or Crohn's Disease
The recommended dosage of ENTYVIO in adults with ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease is 300 mg administered by intravenous infusion at zero, two and six weeks and then every eight weeks thereafter.
Discontinue therapy in patients who show no evidence of therapeutic benefit by Week 14.
Reconstitution And Dilution Instructions
Reconstitute ENTYVIO at room temperature. ENTYVIO should be reconstituted and prepared by a trained medical professional using aseptic technique by the following procedure:
- Remove the flip-off cap from the single-dose vial and wipe with alcohol swab. Reconstitute ENTYVIO vial containing lyophilized powder with 4.8 mL of Sterile Water for injection, using a syringe with a 21 to 25 gauge needle.
- Insert the syringe needle into the vial through the center of the stopper and direct the stream of Sterile Water for injection to the glass wall of the vial to avoid excessive foaming.
- Gently swirl the vial for at least 15 seconds to dissolve the lyophilized powder. Do not vigorously shake or invert.
- Allow the solution to sit for up to 20 minutes at room temperature to allow for reconstitution and for any foam to settle; the vial can be swirled and inspected for dissolution during this time. If not fully dissolved after 20 minutes, allow another 10 minutes for dissolution. Do not use the vial if the drug product is not dissolved within 30 minutes.
- Visually inspect the reconstituted ENTYVIO solution for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration. Solution should be clear or opalescent, colorless to light brownish yellow and free of visible particulates. Do not administer reconstituted solution showing uncharacteristic color or containing particulates.
- Prior to withdrawing the reconstituted ENTYVIO solution from the vial, gently invert vial three times.
- Withdraw 5 mL (300 mg) of reconstituted ENTYVIO solution using a syringe with a 21 to 25 gauge needle. Discard any remaining portion of the reconstituted solution in the vial.
Add the 5 mL (300 mg) of reconstituted ENTYVIO solution to 250 mL of sterile 0.9% Sodium Chloride and gently mix the infusion bag. Do not add other medicinal products to the prepared infusion solution or intravenous infusion set. Once reconstituted and diluted, use the infusion solution as soon as possible.
If necessary, the infusion solution may be stored for up to four hours at 2° to 8°C (36° to 46°F). Do not freeze. Discard any unused portion of the infusion solution.
Dosage Forms And Strengths
ENTYVIO for injection: 300 mg of vedolizumab as a lyophilized cake in single dose 20 mL vials for reconstitution.
Storage And Handling
ENTYVIO (vedolizumab) is supplied in sterile 20 mL single-use glass vials, containing 300 mg of vedolizumab as a white to off-white cake.
NDC 64764-300-20 300 mg single-dose vial in individual carton
Refrigerate unopened vials at 2° to 8°C (36° to 46°F). Retain in original package to protect from light.
Distributed by: Takeda Pharmaceuticals America, Inc. Deerfield, IL 60015. Revised: May 2014This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Last reviewed on RxList: 5/30/2014
Additional Entyvio Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.