Eosinophilic Esophagitis (cont.)
Bhupinder Anand, MD
In this Article
- What is eosinophilic esophagitis?
- What are the symptoms of eosinophilic esophagitis?
- How does eosinophilic esophagitis cause dysphagia?
- What are the other causes of dysphagia or solid food?
- How is eosinophilic esophagitis diagnosed?
- How is eosinophilic esophagitis treated?
- What about elimination diets for treating eosinophilic esophagitis?
- What is the future of eosinophilic esophagitis?
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis At A Glance
- Find a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Eosinophilic Esophagitis At A Glance
- Eosinophilic esophagitis is an inflammatory condition of
the esophagus that affects both children and adults, and men more than
- Eosinophilic gastroenteritis may be due allergy to an
as yet unknown food allergen.
- The major symptom in adults with eosinophilic
esophagitis is dysphagia for solid food.
- Eosinophilic esophagitis stiffens the esophagus so
that solid foods have difficulty passing through the esophagus and into the
- Other common causes of dysphagia for solid food are
esophageal strictures and Schatzki rings.
- The diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis usually is
made during an EGD, performed for the evaluation of dysphagia. The diagnosis
is confirmed by biopsy of the esophagus.
- The treatment of eosinophilic esophagitis is with proton pump inhibitors and swallowed fluticasone propionate. Gentle esophageal dilatation is used when meditations fail to relieve dysphagia.
Last Editorial Review: 5/11/2010
Viewers share their comments
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diet Question: Did you try an elimination diet to treat your eosinophilic esophagitis? Please share your story.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis.
- Submit »
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your eosinophilic esophagitis?
- Submit »
Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your eosinophilic esophagitis?
Get the latest treatment options.