"On Friday, May 27, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted accelerated approval for Ocaliva (obeticholic acid) for the treatment of primary biliary cholangitis (PBC) in combination with ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) in adults with an ina"...
Eovist Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Eovist
Generic Name: gadoxetate (Pronunciation: gad OX e tate)
- What is gadoxetate (Eovist)?
- What are the possible side effects of gadoxetate (Eovist)?
- What is the most important information I should know about gadoxetate (Eovist)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before receiving gadoxetate (Eovist)?
- How is gadoxetate given (Eovist)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Eovist)?
- What happens if I overdose (Eovist)?
- What should I avoid after receiving gadoxetate (Eovist)?
- What other drugs will affect gadoxetate (Eovist)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is gadoxetate (Eovist)?
Gadoxetate is a contrast agent. It is used in combination with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to allow blood vessels, organs, and other non-bony tissues to be seen more clearly on the MRI.
Gadoxetate is used to help diagnose certain disorders of the liver.
Gadoxetate may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of gadoxetate (Eovist)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Some of the side effects of gadoxetate can occur up to several days after you have received the medication.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- drowsiness, confusion, mood changes, increased thirst, loss of appetite;
- swelling, weight gain, feeling short of breath; or
- swelling, irritation, or skin changes where the injection was given.
Less serious side effects may include:
- headache, dizziness;
- nausea, vomiting;
- unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth;
- mild itching or skin rash;
- changes in your sense of taste or smell;
- flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling);
- feeling unusually hot; or
- cold feeling, warmth, pain, bruising, swelling, or burning where the medicine was injected.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Eovist (gadoxetate disodium injection) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about gadoxetate (Eovist)?
Gadoxetate can cause a life-threatening condition in people with advanced kidney disease. The symptoms of this condition include:
- burning, itching, swelling, scaling, and tightening or hardening of your skin;
- muscle weakness;
- joint stiffness in your arms, hands, legs, or feet;
- deep bone pain in your ribs or your hips;
- trouble moving; or
- skin redness or discoloration.
Before receiving this medication, tell your doctor if you have kidney disease or if you are on dialysis. You may not be able to receive gadoxetate. Also tell your doctor if you have recently received any contrast agents similar to gadoxetate.
Also tell your doctor if you have diabetes, high blood pressure, liver disease (or liver transplant), anemia or other red blood cell disorder, a heart rhythm disorder, a personal or family history of Long QT Syndrome, asthma or allergies, if you are over 60 years old, if you have ever had a reaction to a contrast agent, or if you have recently had an injury, surgery, or severe infection.
Your doctor or other healthcare provider may want to watch you for a short time after your test is over. This is to make sure you do not have any unwanted side effects or delayed reactions.
Additional Eovist Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.