- What other names is Ephedra known by?
- What is Ephedra?
- Is Ephedra effective?
- How does Ephedra work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Ephedra.
Ephedra is often promoted for weight loss, but it is not safe or effective for this use.
There isn't enough information to know if ephedra is effective for the other conditions people use it for, including: improving athletic performance, allergies, nasal congestion, colds, flu, fever and many more.
Possibly Effective for...
- Weight loss. Ephedra can produce modest weight loss when used with exercise and a low fat diet, but it can cause serious side effects, even in healthy people who follow product dosage directions.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Improving athletic performance, allergies, asthma and other breathing disorders, nasal congestion, colds, flu, fever, and other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Next: How does Ephedra work?
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.